Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#86025 - 08/04/2002 14:03 bad pump response error 0x25... ideas???
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Over the weekend my 30gb unit took a turn for the worse. After playing for about an hour (in home), it began to distort the song that was playing to a point it was just noise and then completely locked up. Powered down a number of times and powered back up but could never get pass the boot logo, no buttons work, nothing. Came into work today to try to unlock it by changing the v2.0 beta11 software back to v1.03 and came up with this error during the "upgrade"; bad pump response error 0x25. This came after about a 10 minute wait while the upgrade window said "selecting pump device". Any ideas on this??? Currently the player is stilll locked up at the boot screen. Thanks

#86026 - 08/04/2002 14:27 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Search the FAQ on the word "pump"...

#86027 - 08/04/2002 15:12 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Here's what I found:

There are several things that could cause an error while upgrading the player, but one of the most common is a corrupted ".upgrade" file. Try using the GetRight utility to re-download the upgrade file. See if that fixes it.
Other possible problems are related to trouble with the serial port: Bad cable, hardware device conflicts, etc. Try performing the upgrade on a different PC.

It has also been reported that a bad pump error can be caused by a loose or faulty disk drive cable. Also, keep in mind that when the player is running on power from the car docking sled, the player's upgrade firmware won't listen for the upgrade command. Try performing the upgrade with the player running on power from the AC adapter.

Ok, I've ruled out the upgrade file problem because the upgrade file has been used before on my other units and this this unit with no issues.
Also ruled out the cable problem by upgrading another unit and had no problem. Additionally, fairly sure I don't have a PC conflict because this is the only PC I've ever used to upgrade this unit and my others.
So.... would a loose or faulty cable cause the playback distortion I experienced just prior to lock-up???? And furthermore cause my stuck or locked at boot logo issues???
My exact error message says "Error "bad pump response" occured during stage 0x25"

Thanks in advance for the help

#86028 - 09/04/2002 09:23 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

After ruling out the first 2 possibilities in the FAQ, I opened the unit to check the drive cable and fond that it was not loose and didn't know how to check to see if it was faulty. However, the unit now responds with "no hard disk found, contact support" upon bootup. An e-mail has already been sent to support regarding this, although any ideas are still welcome. Thank you,

#86029 - 09/04/2002 14:16 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: bodybag]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I opened the unit to check the drive cable

Probably a silly question... but did you check both ends of the drive cable, that is, where it plugs into the motherboard as well as where it plugs into the drive itself?

tanstaafl.

#86030 - 09/04/2002 14:47 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
bodybag
addict

Yeah, both ends are tight and right where they should be. Update to my problem is this: I was able to get the unit to boot and play music by just by moving the hard disk around while it was still conntected. Figured everything was fine so I screwed it all back together and got the same "no hard disk found" message. Removed the screws that support the disk mounting plate and it booted up and plays again. The problem is still intermittant, but I'm fairly sure it's the cable at this point. The cable actually has a bit of tension when everything is screwed together. My guess is, it's pulling and creating a short of some kind in the cable itself. The guys at Rio are sending me a new one to install.

#86031 - 09/04/2002 14:57 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Are there washers standing it off from the drive tray?

#86032 - 09/04/2002 15:31 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Yes, looks like some red fiber or rubber washers, they are there. Why?, were you thinking that the drive may be shorting against the mounting plate? When I said I was moving the drive around I meant with it still attached to the mounting plate. just moving it a little bit makes the connection necessary for the unit to boot and play.

#86033 - 09/04/2002 16:11 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I ask because it was revealed that pressure on the drive spindle of certain drives will cause them to fail. The standoff washers were not standard equipment until later.

#86034 - 10/04/2002 12:05 Re: bad pump response error 0x25... ideas??? [Re: tfabris]
bodybag
addict

Thanks for the info.