Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#86204 - 09/04/2002 11:35 Two quick, probably stupid questions!!
WayneN
new poster

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hello all - two questions from a newbie:

1. When I use the "power off" off command while in the car, the unit stops, but the display does not turn off. At one point I'm sure it did. Am I doing something stupid??

2. When I drag the playlists in emplode and organize them the way I want (I've checked posistions) the empeg still lists them alphabetically.

3. Oops, I lied here's a third. I have the ver 1. 3 empeg and emplode loaded. Any thoughts on the Beta versions? I don't want to have any trouble!!!

Many Thaks!!!

#86205 - 09/04/2002 11:40 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find that I have less trouble with the beta than I did with 1.03.

#86206 - 09/04/2002 12:10 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When I use the "power off" off command while in the car, the unit stops, but the display does not turn off.

This is strange. Please give more details of what you mean when you say "display does not turn off". Tell us exactly what buttons you press, and exactly what you see on the screen.

When I drag the playlists in emplode and organize them the way I want (I've checked posistions) the empeg still lists them alphabetically.

If you mean that the entries on the "Playlists" menu on the player are alphabetical, this is by design. You can turn this feature off if you use version 2.0 of the software and emplode (it's an option in the emplode 2.0 "configure player" screen.

Any thoughts on the Beta versions?

If you want to kill the alphabetical sorting of the playlist menu, then you have little choice but to run the beta at this point.

There are two major bugs in the current beta (11), they both have work arounds:

1) There is an occasional freeze-up due to a masked interrupt not getting unmasked (or something like that, don't ask me details, it would take a scientist to explain it). This bug has been fixed in the latest Hijack kernel. So if you install beta 11, make sure to install Hijack afterwards, it will fix this bug.

2) There is a problem where if you use the new "favorite visuals" feature, it will make your config.ini file grow larger each time you synch twice in the same emplode session. So if you use beta 11, make sure to completely exit emplode after each time you synch, and the problem will never happen.

So try 2.0 beta 11, you should be OK as long as you do the above. Remember that you have to upgrade both Emplode and the player software (two separate downloads).

#86207 - 09/04/2002 12:29 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Display staying on sounds like you have miswired the amp remote line to a permanent power feed. This is bad.

Hugo

#86208 - 09/04/2002 12:47 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Riiiiiight, I remember now.

Yeah, someone else did this, too. They had their amplifier remote line (blue wire) miswired somehow, so that it was connected to a power source instead of being the power source itself. It had a similar symptom.

The amp remote wire should be connected to exactly one thing and one thing only: The amp remote activations wire on your amplifier. Anything else and you could risk shorting stuff out.

#86209 - 09/04/2002 15:38 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: tfabris]
WayneN
new poster

Thanks for responding!The problem is this - The display was absolutely turning off before, and now it's not - and nothing has been rewired. So, here is the sequence....

Unit is playing, Track info is on the screen. I hit the bottom (down) button and it brings up the menu. I hit left or right button to scroll to "Power Off". I then hit the down button again. Unit stops playing, but the display stays lit!!!

Thanks for any help!!

Wayne

#86210 - 09/04/2002 22:57 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
What happens if you press and hold the top button instead?

/Michael

#86211 - 10/04/2002 01:24 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

When you sleep the player, does the standby LED stay lit steadily, or does it pulse?

#86212 - 10/04/2002 05:43 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: mtempsch]
WayneN
new poster

Tried pressing and holding the top button - same result!

#86213 - 10/04/2002 05:45 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: tfabris]
WayneN
new poster

Pulses!!

Thanks again!

#86214 - 10/04/2002 09:41 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: WayneN]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hmm, if the light pulses, then that's not the same symptom as the other guy who hooked his amp-remote wire up to a power source. In his case, the light would stay steady instead of pulsing.

Any other ideas, Hugo?

#86215 - 10/04/2002 12:03 Re: Two quick, probably stupid questions!! [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not really, does the amp turn off when the unit goes into standby? Is the amp on even without the empeg plugged in? The LED steady or pulsing has little to do with it, this is just the state of the LCD databits from the main board and not an indication of power miswiring or not.

Hugo