Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8670 - 30/05/2000 20:02 Software Empeg Player
CraveIT
new poster

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi, I don't pretend to bo a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems to me that it would be pretty easy to write a little software program that would emulate how the Empeg player works. The interface would look just like the mk1 or mk2. The software would just mimic the way the Empeg is used. There would be a seperate little window that would look like the remote. This way people could find out exactly (or pretty much exactly) the way that the Empeg works, including all features. Also, the Emplode software should be able to work without have an Empeg physically attached to the computer.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people bery interested in buying one, but if they could test drive it in a software version first, I think that would sell it for them.

What so you guys think? How hard could it be to write a software program to Emulate the Empeg?

#8671 - 31/05/2000 07:09 Re: Software Empeg Player [Re: CraveIT]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
To do it properly, this would involve writing a complete hardware emulator for the empeg... we can compile the empeg software for x86 linux (just about) but then there's the issue that if it works just like an empeg, then all the people who have PC-based in-car systems get our software (the good bit!) for free.

Emplode can't work without the empeg connected, the empeg holds the database *not* the PC.

Hugo

#8672 - 31/05/2000 14:08 Re: Software Empeg Player [Re: altman]
CraveIT
new poster

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What if it wasn't really a player, just something like a shockwave app that doesn't really play mp3's, but it could still give people an idea of the interface and how it works?
The program would just a have built in list of songs, and the user could use the product as if it were real, but it doesn't actually play.

Am I confusing you yet?

#8673 - 31/05/2000 15:35 Re: Software Empeg Player [Re: CraveIT]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
i think it'd be hard to represent the player's functionalities like that.. One of the strongest features is the ability to find music quickly and effortlessly - something that's hard to do on a "set, short" playlist..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units