Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8726 - 31/05/2000 23:31 Discount for Mk1 Owners.
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
All,

I just found the following statement on the new website:

"The upgrade offer is only valid for the first round of orders, to be placed early in June. There will be no opportunity to defer."

Isn't this a little harsh? I was aiming to leave my upgrade for a month or so, to see how the software and stuff settles out (especially since the tuner isn't available immediately and the VR software is delayed too).

guys@empeg - do you think that you could give us a little more time - I'm feeling like we're being forced to go for it immediately...

Besides I'm getting the mk1 installed in the TT on saturday, so I'll be skint for a little while after that .....

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: 4120 - Serial 00254

#8727 - 01/06/2000 08:07 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: phaigh]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
To be fair, it's not like you didn't have warning. I think Empeg is being very reasonable with its discount and I don't see why there should be too many more consessions on their part.

...I was aiming to leave my upgrade for a month or so, to see how the software and stuff settles out (especially since the tuner isn't available immediately and the VR software is delayed too).
The software is very good. there has been far worse PC software to come out as version 1 or higher. Windows?
To defer for those reasons is pretty lame. My Empeg didn't have half the functions it does now but i haven't had to outlay anything more for the upgrades

Besides, what are you really waiting for?
-Money? yeah, things can be tough.
-the next best thing? you'll be waiting a while.

#8728 - 01/06/2000 09:06 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: muzza]
phaigh
addict

To be fair, it's not like you didn't have warning. I think Empeg is being very reasonable with its discount and I don't see why there should be too many more consessions on their part.
I couldn't agree more, than having any sort of discount scheme is great, and I'm not griping about the level of discount, meerly the amount of time that it's being offered for.

...I was aiming to leave my upgrade for a month or so, to see how the software and stuff settles out (especially since the tuner isn't available immediately and the VR software is delayed too).
The software is very good. there has been far worse PC software to come out as version 1 or higher. Windows?
To defer for those reasons is pretty lame. My Empeg didn't have half the functions it does now but i haven't had to outlay anything more for the upgrades

Yes, but I don't have to upgrade. Things that really interest me in the new version are VR, cellphone mute, red faceplate and the tuner - I'm not bothered about the new style of faceplate, since I love the styling of the Mk1. The new volume wheel would be great, but since empeg fixed this in the mk1 software, I've had almost no problem from it and it suits me fine.

Since some of the features that I'm really interested in aren't available from the start, I don't feel terribly happy about having to make a decision on my discount in the first month of release. One month from when the features are ready, fair enough.

Bottom Line: I can't make a decision on wether to upgrade from Mk1 to Mk2 (which is going to cost about 1000 pounds, including installation, etc, not an inconsiderable amount of money for me) until I know how fit for purpose the product is. This isn't possible until the features are available surely?

This is the same argument I use with software companies - I'm not going to buy software based on a PowerPoint presentation, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do the same from me.

Besides, what are you really waiting for?
-Money? yeah, things can be tough.
-the next best thing? you'll be waiting a while.

I've already made my point about the money, and when did I ever say that I wanted the discount on the inevitable mk3 - if the mk2 does even 50% of what I want I'll buy it, but I feel like I'm being pressured into making a decision.

Don't get me wrong, I love the empeg and I'm probably going to get a mk2, but I want to check how the features pan out, before I make a decision. I'm not asking for an indefinite delay in the offering of the discount, since I completely understand the fiscal reasons for not doing this, but I think that to only offer the discount for a (very) short time is a little difficult. I guess that I really object to having my hand forced on this issue.

Rob/hugo, how long is the first round of orders likely to last? (i.e. how fast do I need to make my decision?). What if loads of people get in there before me, because I'm away for a week, etc....

Curious about everyone else's thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

#8729 - 01/06/2000 09:54 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: phaigh]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
In practice the discount will be available until we've sold the first batch of 1000 units. If you want to be sure of getting one of these you'll have to order fairly quickly - if you leave it for a while, and we've sold the batch, you lose out.

The discount isn't really the main issue there - the issue is that we're allowing existing clients to skip the queue and get a Mark 2 ahead of the other 10,000 or so clients that are waiting.

Rob

#8730 - 01/06/2000 12:10 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: rob]
phaigh
addict

Rob,

I hear you. I completely understand about jumping the queue, but for reasons noted in a different posting, I'm quite happy to wait until they can be order from stock, i.e. I'm more interested in seeing how the technology pans out (and obviously the implmentation of this - which I'm sure will be wonderful) than when I get the player.

Given this, can I wait and still receive the discount, since empeg don't lose out either way (since you will sell the first batch anyway, and I'll get the discount wether I order the empeg now or not.)

I'm really trying to avoid a situation where I am forced to buy the empeg for the discount and then find that I'm not finding the extra features significantly better than the mk1 and then selling the mk2 at a loss, along with a loss on the number of different installations I need (one for the mk2, one for the tuner, one for a decent mike for the VR - or leave it in the box until all of my features are available and do the install then.

Can you see my point here, or do I sound completely unreasonable?

Perhaps, I'll need to state that I don't want to order one in the first 1000 and I'm happy to get one at the end (sep/nov/whenever).

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

#8731 - 01/06/2000 12:39 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: rob]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy a EMPEG unit 2nd hand, will the ability to purchase the MKII at a discount transfer to me, or does it stay with the original purchaser?

You can't blame a guy for askin.....

"I drank what?" - Socrates

#8732 - 01/06/2000 12:47 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: ccrobin]
Kureg

In reply to:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy a EMPEG unit 2nd hand, will the ability to purchase the MKII at a discount transfer to me, or does it stay with the original purchaser?

I actually found the official answer to this on the new web site, but it has been answered quite a few times in previous threads.

The answer is yes, but ONLY if the original purchaser of the Mark I gives the empeg guys a statement in writing saying they he is not going to use the discount option and would like it passed onto the new owner of the Mark I.

Basically, you can't get the discount if the original owner of the Mark I wants it for himself. You can get the discaount if the original owner doesn't want to use it for himself and says so in writing to the empeg guys.

Same thing said in two different ways .

Kureg

#8733 - 01/06/2000 12:47 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: ccrobin]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
RedundantStatementHere

The original owner is the only person that will receive the discount, unless they transfer the discount to you.
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#8734 - 01/06/2000 13:04 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: dionysus]
Kureg

In reply to:

RedundantStatementHere

The original owner is the only person that will receive the discount, unless they transfer the discount to you.

Yes, but mine was much more confusing .

Kureg

#8735 - 01/06/2000 14:37 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: ccrobin]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I can transfer the discount to you, but I plan on using the discount on my Mark II unit.

Sorry

#8736 - 01/06/2000 15:36 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: drakino]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I don't blame you. I'd keep it for myself too. :)

Besides, I haven't won it yet. ;)

"I drank what?" - Socrates

#8737 - 01/06/2000 17:03 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: phaigh]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm with Paul on this one. Personally, I don't want to jump the queue (after all, I already have an empeg) but I'd really like to have the discount when I've got enough money to use it. Also, there would not be much point me taking advantage of the discount anyway at the moment; the Aussie dollar is doing so poorly now that it would wipe out any benefit the discount would give.

Richard.

#8738 - 01/06/2000 23:00 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: rob]
teemcbee
addict

If the 1000 units from the 1st batch are shipped - when will the next batch be produced and how many units will it include?
(Hopefully I'm in the queue for the 1st batch..)

TeeMcBee

#8739 - 01/06/2000 23:33 Re: Rob what about???. [Re: rob]
BasicGuy
stranger

Rob

We talked about this before and now have a understanding that since the person
I bought my empeg doesn't want a mark2 I get his discount. but....do I get his que number?? if not what good is his discount?? All the first thousand will be gone by the time my number comes up.

Thanks,

BasicGuy

Brad Graff
[email protected]

#8740 - 01/06/2000 23:41 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: Kureg]
BasicGuy
stranger

Ok so would a email from the original person be enough?

I'm sorry but I can't expect the person who sold it to me to write a letter and
mail it the Empeg. I think that would be a lot to ask of someone I don't know.

Thanks,

BasicGuy

[email protected]

#8741 - 02/06/2000 00:55 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: rjlov]
phaigh
addict

Richard,

Thanks for the support.

I'm a little worried that this thread is becoming a little more diverse - the statement on second hand empeg's is very clear.

[email protected] - any chance we can discuss this a little more? I'm very concerned about this issue, and with the MK2's coming next week, I'm feeling very pressured to have to put my order in as soon as....

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue

#8742 - 02/06/2000 05:24 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: teemcbee]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We're working on getting the second batch together now. Component shortages abound, though - it's getting even harder to build stuff now!

Hugo

#8743 - 02/06/2000 06:08 Re: Rob what about???. [Re: BasicGuy]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There is no queue for the upgrade deal. It will be offered ahead of everyone else, so you won't have to wait.

Rob

#8744 - 02/06/2000 06:18 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

We're working on getting the second batch together now. Component shortages abound, though - it's getting even harder to build stuff now!

...so does that mean that the first batch was secured and will be received on time?
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#8745 - 02/06/2000 10:05 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: dionysus]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Out of several hundred parts, there's one part missing from the display board. If anyone knows where to get some AD8400AR10's we'd love to know :)

The manufacturer is searching worldwide looking for them, but apart from that they're spending all of monday loading up the robotic assembly machine (we use it in its full capacity, as we have so many different components on the main board) and should start production testing on Tuesday, with a run starting on Wednesday (fingers crossed!).

Plastics were delayed by a couple of days, and metalwork is being a nightmare too at the moment... on the plus side, the new lid stickers have arrived and are very pretty (thanks to Dave & Rob), and we have the first new car stickers too ;)

Hugo

#8746 - 02/06/2000 12:21 Re: Rob what about???. [Re: rob]
BasicGuy
stranger

Rob,

Thanks agian for the quick reply.

Thanks,

BasicGuy

#8747 - 03/06/2000 13:44 Slightly Different Question [Re: phaigh]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
This is probably going to be a no, but here goes... =)

The Mk1 upgrade package includes a tuner module (which I don't really need) so is there any chance of not including the tuner module in my mk1 discount in exchange for some money off?? (I know the module is list priced at 55 ukp, but I wouldn't expect to get the full amount off =)

Can't blame a guy for trying, I really want the 12 gig version... =)

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#8748 - 03/06/2000 23:55 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: Jazzwire]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Or you could sell it on ebay. But I have no idea how much or little it would go for.

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#8749 - 04/06/2000 00:16 Re: Discount for Mk1 Owners. [Re: altman]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
...they're spending all of monday loading up the robotic assembly machine (we use it in its full capacity, as we have so many different components on the main board) and should start production testing on Tuesday

I know it sounds corny and geeky, but can we have some pics of the assembly? (maybe even a quick vid?)
We all have become such a part of the family that seeing the babies being born seems only natural.

#8750 - 05/06/2000 04:05 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: bmihulka]
Jazzwire
addict

In reply to:

Or you could sell it on ebay. But I have no idea how much or little it would go for.

I'm not sure I want to sell it at the moment, I can't see any sensible person paying near full price for a mark 1, when the mark 2 is a better unit...
However my Mk1 is likely to become a "free party" in a box, when combined with my mates PA and generator... =)

As I don't need a radio, a possible refund on that part would push the hd from a 6 to 12... Hence my question... I might just go for the 12 anyway... I think it's the sweet spot on price/capacity at the moment...

Jazz

#8751 - 05/06/2000 04:32 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: Jazzwire]
teemcbee
addict

You could also install the HDD from your Mk1 into your Mk2 (What size is it?)
Then you wouldn't have to recreate the playlists and download all songs a second time...
Just a suggestion

TeeMcBee

#8752 - 05/06/2000 05:56 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: teemcbee]
Jazzwire
addict

It's a 4 gig disc (as it says in my sig... =) so it's not worth voiding the Mk 2 warrenty...
I want to upload most of the tracks again, as I've discovered that (with my system anyway) MusicMatch 5 at 100% VBR sounds better than the current 256kps I was using (And the files are smaller too... =)
Time to dig out the CD's from storage... =)

Jazz

#8753 - 05/06/2000 06:11 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: Jazzwire]
teemcbee
addict

Uuupsss- I've not seen your signation ;-)

But I think this little difference in the price (compared to the difference in space) is worth spending some bucks more..

Oh yeah - VBR. I recognized this feature a bit late. I'll try with the 128kB ripped songs. But I think I'll have to re-rip again.

TeeMcBee

#8754 - 05/06/2000 07:43 Re: Slightly Different Question [Re: Jazzwire]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I actually meant sell the tuner module only.

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-