Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#880 - 10/11/1999 12:13 OT: Personal Portable MP3 player
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Apologies for the off-topic discussion, but I thought that people might be interested.

A 6GB personal MP3 player. Nice.

http://www.pjbox.com/main.htm

Paul.

Paul Haigh, 6GB, Blue
Reg: ~4100 - Still Waiting!

#881 - 14/11/1999 05:28 Re: OT: Personal Portable MP3 player [Re: phaigh]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
It looks interesting but it isn't shipping yet; it holds less than all but 1 empeg model; it needs to be recharged every 8-10 hours (depending on temperature and volume level); and it doesn't have the possibility of running other apps via a robust OS. It seems directed to the portable market but it is larger than the Rio types. I suppose the 81 hours capacity (?kbps encoding rate)is for a wide selection of music but if one needs to plug it in to recharge it every day, then one should be able to feed it new tunes, too. I suspect it will be too expensive for the portable buyers (with its HD) and too limited to compete with the empeg (and other flexible mobile units). It might do better if designed for flashcard RAM use. Its nice to see more devices are coming out, though. It adds support for the technology. Thanks for the link.

#882 - 14/11/1999 13:54 Re: OT: Personal Portable MP3 player [Re: phaigh]
perreag
new poster

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Seems interesting. The format of the device is good. The USB port is really good... It is supposed to start selling at a major music store next week... Wonder where and at which price ??? (around 800$, they say 80$ per playback hour and the device holds 81 hours....)