Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88147 - 15/04/2002 14:50 Help: Player frozen while playing a wav file
Flatline
new poster

Loc: San Jose, Ca
My empeg is frozen. I was playing a pink noise .wav file for the purpose of RTAing and it just froze. Powering off and on does not solve the problem. Strangely the Hijack menu's are available .

Serial port output shows a normal boot sequence (I believe) followed by ! wave_decoder.cpp : 312:Bytes not (yet) available (0xc0044000)

Player has been stable for quite a while. This morning I added the .wav file and jemplode installed the new hijack.

Thanks,
Eric(hoping I don't have to reinstall my software from scratch) Fesler

#88148 - 15/04/2002 15:17 Re: Help: Player frozen while playing a wav file [Re: Flatline]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
VERY interesting. I spent two long mornings playing all sorts of different WAV files with RTA and had nary a problem.

If you need to start the player without a playlist, you can get to a shell prompt (quickly press ctrl-C before the player app starts up) and then start the player app by hand with:

./player -i

This will make it come up with no songs selected and you can select a different playlist.

How big was the WAV file in question? What was its sampling rate? Was it stereo? Maybe it wasn't that file but rather another one in the same playlist that was the problem?

Note that a test-tone WAV file need not be a long one in order to be useful. You can set the player to repeat just the one track and it'll just loop that test tone indefinitely.

#88149 - 15/04/2002 15:36 Re: Help: Player frozen while playing a wav file [Re: tfabris]
Flatline
new poster

Loc: San Jose, Ca
Thank you for that command. That was a lifesaver. Is that in the FAQ?

Ok details on the file 131203130 bytes (aprox 12min)
format fs1411 which I believe means 44.1kHz 16bit stereo. File is titled CDTestSignal and all other fields are empty. This created an item in the empeg playlist tree that looks like just a musical note symbol with no name and the track below it (likely irrelevent).

I am replaying the wav file now. The lockup happened in my car within a few ms of a restart (I pulled the player to fix a sticking button). It was definitely playing that one track because every reboot it would make it to displaying the track name before freezing I could also sometimes make 1 button press take effect before the freeze.

HAH...I played the file 7:12 with no problems. Well past where the problem occured then repeated the problem by pulling power and re-powering. Want anything more?

Ack didn't know about the looping thing. I spent hours last night trying to find a long clean pink noise .wav file.

#88150 - 15/04/2002 15:41 Re: Help: Player frozen while playing a wav file [Re: Flatline]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It was in the developer information section of RioCar.org. Not the FAQ specifically.

In theory, it shouldn't need to be in the FAQ, as there should be no bugs playing WAV files on the unit. I am not sure if this is in the internal bug list or not. I think it might be there already... Anyone with access to the list know if it's there or not?