Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#88222 - 15/04/2002 19:45 Normalization
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
So, after ripping approximately 300 CDs, I realized I didn't have Normalization enabled. I was wondering what everybodys' opinion was on it. Should I go back and re-rip the CDs? I've noticed on quite a few CDs I've been ripping lately, I've been getting peaks of 50%.

Is there any (quick) way to check to see if a file is normalized? I know I could open a particular MP3 in a WAV editor and find out, but that would be too time consuming.

#88223 - 15/04/2002 20:12 Re: Normalization [Re: svferris]
svferris
addict

A couple more things:

An option that would allow me to scan a CD and obtain the peak volume levels of each track would work too. I wouldn't mind putting in 300 CDs if it only took a minute to scan the CD.

I also realize that a lot of newer CDs are already normalized, so I probably wouldn't have to go through 150 or so, since they're decently new and are popular music. I'm really only running into the issue now, when I'm ripping all my classical-type music.

#88224 - 16/04/2002 10:40 Re: Normalization [Re: svferris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do not re-rip your CDs. The vast majority of your CDs were already normalized, so re-ripping them will not change much, if anything at all.

Even if you did re-rip them and normalize them, it would not change the perceived volume differences between the different albums. Normalization does not solve the problem of perceived volume differences.

Please read the multiple extensive and detailed FAQ entries on this subject, starting here.

#88225 - 16/04/2002 11:29 Re: Normalization [Re: svferris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

On AudioGrabber, if you click on the space under information after you've ripped the track, it'll tell you what the peak is or if it's normalized.

#88226 - 16/04/2002 12:58 Re: Normalization [Re: tfabris]
svferris
addict

I think that normalizing certain CDs WOULD change perceived volume differences. I already mentioned that I know most CDs are normalized these days.

BUT, I've come across numerous tracks in which the peak volume was as low as 10% (one of the tracks on Jurassic Park). Normalizing this track would make a world of difference when listening to it back-to-back with a track that had a peak volume of 98%.

#88227 - 16/04/2002 13:05 Re: Normalization [Re: svferris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've come across numerous tracks in which the peak volume was as low as 10% (one of the tracks on Jurassic Park). Normalizing this track would make a world of difference when listening to it back-to-back with a track that had a peak volume of 98%.

Okay, but it still won't make the Jurassic Park soundtrack, overall, sound like it's at the same perceived volume as the latest Tool album. Still doesn't solve the problem.