Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8823 - 02/06/2000 01:23 Faceplate color.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I'm getting excited about the Mk2, as I'm sure you all are.

The question...

Which color face to get and WHY? What are the benefits of each? I assume some are of higher contrast than others. ...and no, I don't really care to try and match my cars dashboard...

- Jon

#8824 - 02/06/2000 02:22 Re: Faceplate color. [Re: jbauer]
teemcbee
addict

What I could read the blue ones are great cause they have a very high contrast.
But I think all of them are at a high quality and the brightness is adjustable, too.

Personally I think it looks best if it fits your car's dashboard even if you say you don't care about that.

But you have the opportunity to cange the display. For only $40 you can order a different colored faceplate if you're not comfortable with the one you've ordered originally.

TeeMcBee

#8825 - 02/06/2000 05:30 Re: Faceplate color. [Re: teemcbee]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
In order of brightness/contrast:

Green
Blue
Amber
Red

- simply because the phosphor of the VF display is closer to blue/green.

Hugo

#8826 - 02/06/2000 08:37 Re: Faceplate color. [Re: altman]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Which colour is better in direct sunlight? My Mk1 has the blue faceplate, which can be pretty difficult to make out... it's amazing at night, but the winter is over for a while (hopefully!)

Will the new face make it easier to see in bright conditions by cutting out the amount of sunlight that can get in through the display to highlight the display board?

I can't wait to get the invitation to place the order for the Mk2, but now I'm torn between getting the red face to try to match the dash of my BMW or the blue...

Geoff
---- -------
Saving hard for a Mark 2...
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#8827 - 02/06/2000 11:52 Re: Faceplate color. [Re: Geoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
While nothing can make any kind of video display readable in direct sunlight, my green face does pretty darn well. When the sun is shining directly on it, from most angles, I can still barely read the text if I look closely. Unlike a backlit LCD display, which gets completely screwed if even the slightest sunlight hits it.

Also, for those of you who wear polarized sunglasses (IMHO the coolest thing for reducing glare off the road), the Empeg display is not affected by polarization the way that backlit LCD displays are.

As far as color goes: If I didn't care about matching my car's dash, the coolest LOOKING colors are Blue and (now that I've seen it when I met Hugo) Red. But since my car dash is green, I'm sticking with my green face.