Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#89280 - 19/04/2002 08:32 A music sorting question
MisterBeefhead

Loc: Crete, Il USA
Sorry if this is obvious; I sort of new to the advanced features of my empeg.

I would like to make a sort of "hits" directory for when I'm feeling picky, but would like to retain the ability to use the "find matching artist" function to find a random tune by the artist anywhere on the player, not just in the "hits" directory. It would also be nice to be able to drop out of "hits" mode directly at the current song's position in the album it is from - for example, let's say I have Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" playing through a shuffle of my "Hits" directory, but it is the only tune from "The Wall" in my "Hits". Would there be a quick way to change playlists around the currently playing song so as to be at that position in the entire "Wall" album?

#89281 - 19/04/2002 09:50 Re: A music sorting question [Re: MisterBeefhead]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unfortunately, there's no way to do exactly what you're asking.

However, there is nothing to stop you from using the Playlists menu to insert "The Wall" into the current running order, using the press-and-hold technique described here. I've done this quite often, and it's pretty easy to do. Doesn't even require the remote control.

#89282 - 19/04/2002 14:09 Re: A music sorting question [Re: MisterBeefhead]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is what you need to do: Make a playlist "Wall- hits". OK so you're listening to this playlist, then you decide you want the rest of the album including the non-hits. So push the 3 button on the remote, and it will find a song from the same album. Keep pushing it until it says No Matiching Source. And there, now you have whole album.

#89283 - 19/04/2002 14:13 Re: A music sorting question [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think our friend is too young to know about The Wall. Which is scary, since it came out in the early eighties.

(The Wall should generally be listened to sequentially, you see, and the tweak order buttons are intentionally random.)

Although it does make me tend to think about the Tweak Order functionality a bit. If you're hitting the "Album" tweak, maybe it shouldn't be like the other tweak buttons. Maybe the Album tweak should literally locate the rest of the album (regardless of whether it's in the current playlist or not) and insert it sequentially.

#89284 - 20/04/2002 05:21 Re: A music sorting question [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Yes! Could I tell how much this would rock! I've been wondering how we could accomplish something like this and that would be great.

#89285 - 21/04/2002 14:27 While we're talking about sorting and searching and stuff... [Re: JeffS]
gnowknayme
new poster

...One thing that has kinda bugged me about the player software is there's no "jump to" function in the search modes. Maybe I'm missing something here, or maybe I'm the only one that thinks this feature would be great, but it seems pretty logical to me.

Let's say I've got a playlist loaded up with a bunch of classic rock CDs, and I'm in the mood to listen to "The Wall" (which is in the current playlist, but it's about 50 tracks away from where I'm at in the playlist.) Well, as far as I can tell, my choices are to 1: hit the skip track button 50 times until I get to it, 2: search for "The Wall" and insert it a 2nd time in my playlist or 3: search for "The Wall" and replace my current playlist completely.

I think it just makes sense to have a way to jump to "The Wall" in my playlist without changing the order of the playlist...Just changing my position in the playlist. Is it possible, and I'm just missing something? Maybe a new feature that someone can hack in?

#89286 - 21/04/2002 14:50 Re: While we're talking about sorting and searching and stuff... [Re: gnowknayme]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can scroll with the knob in Hijack.