Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#90646 - 26/04/2002 21:20 IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ???
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
Okay, I'm not sure if my subject was clear enough, so this is what I'm trying to fix:

I'm using IE6. I have two browser windows open (call them #1--my "main" window and #2--my "backup" window). If I have the "reuse browser windows" box checked and I click one of my bookmarks in my MAIN window, IE jumps to window #2 and opens the webpage. WHY? If I click the bookmark in window #2, IE *stays* in that window and opens the link there. Again... WHY?!?! Why won't IE allow me to browse a page in the freakin' window *I* want?!?!

Now, same scenario, but with the "reuse browser windows" unchecked. If I click a bookmark in either of the windows, it opens up ANOTHER friggin' window with the webpage. I'm going NUTS here!

All I want to do is have any link I click on, open up in the window that I clicked it in. Is that *so* much to ask? Sheesh!

Any suggestions? I've scoured the web and have come up empty. Is there some registry key I can delete or change to fix this? Any program that will fix this? I'm about to see if I can get that Proxomitron program to do this.

Thanks!

#90647 - 26/04/2002 23:03 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
http://www.mozilla.org

That'll fix the problem.

#90648 - 26/04/2002 23:07 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BAKup]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

LOL! I should've expected that one. Seriously, I've been looking at going back to Mozilla. I'm still using Netscape Messenger 4.76 for my email. Unfortunately, the install can't seem to find enough room on one of my drives to copy my profile.

Thanks for the "tip", though!

#90649 - 26/04/2002 23:14 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
BAKup
addict

Well, I've been an on-again, off-again user of mozilla since M16, but when .94 came out, I've been using it on my linux boxen, and with 1.0rc1now out, I'm using it on my work computer now. I like being able to turn off the ability for a webpage to open a window, or raise/lower one...Also tabbed browsing is nice.

Look luck on the search!

#90650 - 27/04/2002 04:54 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BAKup]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've used Netscape too for years, but it began to show it's age a year back. It also locked up a LOT.
I never really liked netscape v6.0 so I caved in and started using IE.
But if Mozilla is any good I see no reason why I wouldn't switch back.
Is it any good? Is it finally stable? (this was my biggest problem I had with Netscape - it crashed like you wouldn't believe. IE hasn't crashed on me once!)

#90651 - 02/05/2002 16:37 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BartDG]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Well, I went and downloaded Mozilla (RC1). I must say, it's come a long way since my last try (.93, I think). I'm using it off and on, getting used to it again.

BUT... it does the same damned thing IE does!!!! I click a link and it opens up in a new window!!!! ARGH! I've got the "Windows opened by the Web page" box checked under the "tabbed browsing" settings, but it doesn't work! "Load links in the background" is also checked.

So... how about it Mozilla freaks? What's the deal? Even the mighty Gecko (talk about an oxymoron!) can't stop the multitude of browser windows, eh?

I like the tabbed browsing, but it just doesn't work unless I manually open up a new tab. P.I.T.A.!!! I'd rather hit CTRL+N. The toolbar buttons are too big, also. I like the shrunken ones the old Netscape and IE allow. The lack of drag and drop for the toolbar bookmarks is a big downer, too. Okay, enough venting. I do like it, though. Maybe some of this will be fixed in the next version. It's certainly more stable than past versions, but I haven't used it enough to say it's more stable than IE.

#90652 - 02/05/2002 21:04 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
BAKup
addict

Quick Question: have you gone over to advanced, Scripts & Windows, and unchecked the "Open a link in a new window" option?

#90653 - 02/05/2002 21:19 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BAKup]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Thanks, no I hadn't done that! That did manage to stop the extra windows from opening. Now it just changes inside the current tab. It still won't open in a new tab, though. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!

BTW.. the site I'm testing this on is Anandtech and I'm trying to get the Community forums to open in a new tab. I'm halfway there!!!!

#90654 - 03/05/2002 06:01 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
BAKup
addict

Are you using a three button mouse? Turn on the Middle-click or ctrl-click of links in a web page, and use the middle button...That's what I've been doing for things like that.

#90655 - 03/05/2002 23:36 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BAKup]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

A-HA! Now that I can live with. Actually, I've got a four button mouse. I did go ahead and reassign the top two buttons to work as a CTRL+CLICK and it's working just fine. I love this tabbed browsing feature! Thanks for all the help with this!!! Very much appreciated.

Of course, now there's something else... I've been using Mozilla for the past few days and, while I like it, I'm having the same issues I had with version 4: It's a major hard drive hog. My drive is constantly running (not really constant, but it sure seems like it). Everytime I go to do something, it's accessing the hard drive and I have to wait for it to finish. That was the original reason I stopped using it. Seems that they haven't yet fixed that issue. I almost never hear the drives run due to IE.

Any ideas on this one master?

#90656 - 04/05/2002 07:38 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
BAKup
addict

How much memory do you have? It's not really a HD hog, but it loves memory I've got 256MB in my windows system, and it runs very well...I've only got 128MB in my laptop, and it sometimes bogs down. I wouldn't try running Mozilla/Netscape with less than 128MB on a windows machine.

#90657 - 04/05/2002 09:29 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: BAKup]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

I do have an old(er) system. (I refuse to admit that it's OLD, hehe.) It's a 450MHz Celeron w/128MB, running Win2k. The page file is set to about 192MB in Windows. I wonder if the cache for Mozilla isn't sized properly.

I'm building a new system, so I'll see what kind of results I get with 1GB of memory and a RAID array.

#90658 - 04/05/2002 10:10 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I can't begin to comprehend how utterly sad the situation is, when Mozilla won't run well on a 128mb P2-450.

For crissakes, people, it's a web browser. It parses HTML.

#90659 - 04/05/2002 13:34 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Heh... amen to that, Tony! Competition brings about some pretty amazing innovation. But it comes at a price... quality. Tight code had to make way for tight schedules.

Can we truly fault open-source, FREE programs, written by people who just want to make something (better), for being bloated? Yeah, I think we can to a certain extent. Hmm... but, I wonder what excuse that leaves for Microsoft?

Getting back on-topic to the off-topic at hand ... I'm also noticing that Mozilla won't open certain pages when I click a "submit" button. It just sits there and looks at me with a blank stare. I noticed this on the Verizon page when I tried to log in to my account. Simply put... I can't. Is this a known bug?

Thanks for all the help, Ben!

#90660 - 04/05/2002 15:14 Re: IE6 opening pages in new windows... STOP! ?? [Re: tfabris]
BAKup
addict

Well, the reason why IE *seems* to run fast is thefact that most of it is already loading down the system when you boot windows...And it's taking up memory that Mozilla is supposed to be using. I'd like to shoot the idiot who though "commingling" IE with Windows was a good idea.

[edit] Oops, forgot to finish the thought...Must be the anti-MS zelot in me[/edit]

Edited by BAKup (04/05/2002 15:18)