Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#91744 - 02/05/2002 14:07 Cell Phone Recomendations...
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
My cell phone disappeared yesterday and as the hours go by I'm having less and less hope of having it turn up. I've already had it turned off, but now it's time to contemplate the replacement...

I'm on AT&T which is TDMA(i think) but they're slowing rolling out GSM. The phone that I think i want is the Ericcson T68, but I don't know if i'll be able to swing the expense, and if it's worth living with a 5100 series for months while i wait for gsm in the sf bay area. Should I go down and buy myself another 8260 or wait for GSM? (switching providers isn't an option)

Are there other phones I havn't found yet that are better than the 8260(tdma) or T68(gsm)?

Matthew

#91745 - 02/05/2002 14:23 Re: Cell Phone Recomendations... [Re: matthew_k]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I'd recommend staying away from the motorola T193. I recently "upgraded" from my constantly twitchy screen 8290 and am sorely disappointed. Anyone have any experience with the motorola v100 or the handspring treo?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#91746 - 03/05/2002 13:30 Re: Cell Phone Recomendations... [Re: Heather]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I recently "upgraded" from my constantly twitchy screen 8290

Yep, that seems to be the one big flaw with the 8290. This is why I bought mine at Best Buy. I knew it would probably fail, so I got their protection plan on it and plan on ripping them off a few times for their willingness to rip me off in other situations.

#91747 - 03/05/2002 20:49 Re: Cell Phone Recomendations... [Re: drakino]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I just call voicestream and bitch, and a new one shows up in 2 days. I don't think I could spend enough time in a best buy to complete the transaction. The place irks me to begin with, and it's the only place I've ever been with sales help so annoying it convinced me to not buy something I needed.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#91748 - 03/05/2002 23:09 Re: Cell Phone Recomendations... [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
it's the only place I've ever been with sales help so annoying it convinced me to not buy something I needed.

Ah, so you must not have a Fry's Electronics where you live, then.

The only reason I haven't just walked out of Fry's in disgust on multiple occasions is because it takes me an hour to drive there to begin with. So I only go when I really do need something that I can't easily comparison-shop for anywhere else. If I lived near the store I probably would have walked out on the salesperson mid-sentence on several occasions.

The local Radio Shack borders on this, so I do my best only to enter the store when I know precisely what I want (usually an electronic component such as an adapter plug or a diode or something) and don't need to converse with the help other than the grunt of "No" when they ask me if I want a bag.