Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93695 - 13/05/2002 22:53 How Empegs get stolen....
silamanajik
stranger

Loc: IL - USA
This is just a thought to all owners out there who might be next in line for an empeg theft. Almost all of us who post here and on any other empeg site are good people, but there are always the few bad eggs. In theory these bad eggs could collect info about and empeg owner by the personal info he or she would leave in posts like: locations and areas where they live, liscense numbers and other things that could be put together to find out where they live. And lets not forget the people who post pictures of their cars and installs on riocar.org who have the license plate of the car visible in the picture. These are just my thoughts on keeping them all safe. But you could also say screw that and leave your 140 pound rottweiler in your car when your not around. L8Tr...

#93696 - 14/05/2002 02:32 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: silamanajik]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
And lets not forget the people who post pictures of their cars and installs on riocar.org who have the license plate of the car visible in the picture.

There's one install on riocar.org where the owner has blocked out the licence plate in such a bright green colour that it looks, on the thumbnail, as if he installed his empeg in the front bumper...

Peter

#93697 - 14/05/2002 08:08 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: silamanajik]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Or just don't keep it in the car... I think only one empeg was stolen from someone's workplace..

#93698 - 14/05/2002 08:52 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: silamanajik]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I would reckon the biggest chance of your empeg getting nicked from your car is by a passing idiot. I think the fact the cage was removed is that any car stereo empeg or not is hard to get replacement cages so they would of nabbed the cage and still be ignorant to the empeg being an empeg

#93699 - 14/05/2002 08:52 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: silamanajik]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
I would reckon the biggest chance of your empeg getting nicked from your car is by a passing idiot. I think the fact the cage was removed is that any car stereo empeg or not is hard to get replacement cages so they would of nabbed the cage and still be ignorant to the empeg being an empeg

#93700 - 14/05/2002 11:57 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: silamanajik]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Silamanajik,

If one does the proper thing and removes the player from the car when it's not being driven, none of your points are valid.

I don't care if people see that I post here on the BBS or if they see my car installation pictures. I don't think car thieves go to that much trouble to steal a stereo, they just walk down the street and look for deserted cars to smash the windows. If my empeg isn't in the car at all, there's nothing for them to steal except some cheap speakers and a couple of cheap amps.

That's one of the reasons I think the empeg is good, because it can be pulled out of the car. The empeg was purchased as a replacement for a stolen CD player. It was the second time I had been ripped off, and I vowed never to let it happen again. Hence, my eagerness to own a pullout stereo.

#93701 - 14/05/2002 12:41 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

That's one of the reasons I think the empeg is good, because it can be pulled out of the car.

I agree... The only thing that *could* be better would be a unit where the components are distributed and totally integrated with the dash, where the only parts accessible to user (and hence a potential thief) are a well-secured display board that is nigh on impossible to remove quickly without destroying it (remove the motivation), and possibly a removeable hard-drive caddy. (I don't think that this would be necessary if hard drives had a wider range of operating temps).

Of course, the geeks amongst us would probably prefer the current removeable unit with the hackability that it provides, but Joe Consumer doesn't care about that as much as convenience.

#93702 - 14/05/2002 12:46 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: genixia]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Nearly all of the people that I talked into buying one were sold when I showed them it could be hooked to any home stereo system.

#93703 - 14/05/2002 13:16 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Fair point. I'd counter it with the observation that the past couple of years has seen explosive growth in the use of PCs in entertainment systems (HTPCs), growth in music jukebox software, and growth in set-top boxes that are capable of doing that. (Rio Central etc). I expect that trend will continue over the next 5 years, and that prices will fall into what the mainstream consumer is willing to pay.

Given that SB have discontinued the empeg in favor of licensing OEM (car) solutions, yet have continued to develop home entertainment solutions, I'd expect to see empeg functionality completely integrated into car manufacturers' ICE/navigation/onstar/vehicle control solutions within 5 years. The cost delta of adding a large notebook drive and licensing the software to the display/audio/computing platform that they are already selling today is just too compelling. The OEM ICE suppliers will probably go there first with a less integrated solution though.

#93704 - 14/05/2002 20:35 Re: How Empegs get stolen.... [Re: tfabris]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I see what you're saying, but I think he still has valid points. It may not just be the empeg, it could be any or all of the rest of the stereo. Heck, we know what some of us do to our cars, the whole darn thing could be stolen. Sure you may still have the empeg, but everything else is gone. Quite frankly, I can replace the empeg from ebay, for a lot sure - but for a lot less than the money and TIME I put into the rest of my installation.

Again, I know what you mean - you should pull the thing out of the car. However, I think his point is still valid - don't show off too much, and don't give out too much personal information. Applies here or anything you do on the internet or in public.