Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94308 - 17/05/2002 08:44 Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff?
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
i'm not really sure how engine cutoffs work in modern car alarms, but i just a vision where you would need your empeg to start your car. probably needs hella custom wiring... but heres my idea.

using one of the unused connectors on the empeg, it could complete the ignition circuit only if its in the tray. basically, split the ignition wire so it goes to both the fuse panel and the empeg (w/ a fuse somewhere). put in a blown fuse for the ignition at the panel, so theres only one way for it to go... and walla. cant start your car w/o your empeg in there.

if you ever lose your empeg, just replace the fuse (the thief wouldnt know to do that), and be depressed while driving.

#94309 - 17/05/2002 09:48 Re: Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff? [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It would be much easier and much more reliable to just wire up a hidden "kill switch" like people have been doing for decades.

I personally wouldn't want my Empeg to be required to start the car. What if I had to send it in for repair, or what if it got stolen or lost?

#94310 - 17/05/2002 11:21 Re: Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff? [Re: image]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Yes your best bet is to make a make a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump. Im not saying where mine is but basically if the switch is in the off position the car isnt going anywhere.

#94311 - 17/05/2002 11:39 Re: Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff? [Re: image]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I can't see why you'd really want to do this, as the previous replys have pointed out...but;

You could possibly use the Remote Amp Turn On wire to drive a relay that switched the ignition line. You'd have to be sure that you could still get power to the accessory line though or your car would never start. You would also need to ensure that the empeg was protected against the reverse switch-off current generated by a relay (easy enough - and the empeg may already have internal protection.) But the big thing is this - if you turned off your empeg accidentally whilst driving, your car would stall. Is that desirable?

#94312 - 18/05/2002 18:42 Re: Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff? [Re: genixia]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
There is another way fit a micro switch to the back of your cage and have that switch cuttin either the LT side of the ignition coil, starter relay or fuel pump.

So when empeg in cage engine run empeg out engine no run.

Not as difficult as you would imagine.

#94313 - 19/05/2002 18:05 Re: Wish: empeg as an engine cutoff? [Re: image]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
Yikes, dude.
I have had my empeg slide out under heavy acceleration and I'm sure it would pop out if I was hit from behind, both pretty good times to have your engine, ignition or fuel pump fail because of some silly cockamaymee wiring project.
No offense, but I think this idea is poo poo.