Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#949 - 22/11/1999 18:58 Boat Install
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Has anyone installed their unit in a boat, or plan to?
I plan on buying an extra docking bay for my boat,(perfect application for parties at the lake!)
I was wondering if I might experience any grounding difficulties.

Mk2 #105 60g

#950 - 24/11/1999 08:09 Re: Boat Install [Re: MRHJr]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
A boat install shouldn't give you too many problems. A couple of things worth considering:-

Run a *very* heavy ground cable back to your battery, and use this for both the Empeg and the amp (use a cable rated at least double the total combined current of the Empeg and amp). Earth the RCA grounding leads first of all to the amp ground terminal - if you get noise problems, try relocating these to the same heavy earth feed.

Run your RCA cables as far away from any existing power cables as possible - probably your best plan would be to mount the amp and Empeg as close together as you can get them.

Watch out for overvoltage - if you're running an outboard, the charging circuits on some of these can be a bit less than perfect. I'm not sure how well Hugo protected the Empeg from overvoltage, but either way, hanging an additional zener diode off the feed to the Empeg between the unit itself and the fuseholder probably isn't a bad idea. Mail me anytime if you'd like me to explain that a bit better.

You might need to suppress other electrical units on an individual basis - depending on how expensive the boat is, the level of supression on most varies from poor to non-existant, but most bits aren't normally too hard to supress. If you've got VHF gear on board, keeping the Empeg as far away from that as possible is also a good idea.

Anything else you need to know - feel free to mail me - I actually started out working on boats many years back....
Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk

#951 - 25/11/1999 14:11 Re: Boat Install [Re: Cambscar]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Thanks for the reply Dominic,a wealth of info as usual.

All is in place now with my existing stereo(cassette)as we all know CDs are not very friendly especially while water skiing or cruising in rough water!

I'm just getting a little antsy in anticipation of next summer!
I have installed many stereos in the past, but from many postings on this board, I am a little curious about what to expect regarding grounding.

The Empeg excites me in the idea that it would be so hassle free when 20 to 30 people all want to hear different music while at the lake.Lugging around a CD collection of 400 is not to appealing, let alone changing after every song.

Thanks again.

Waiting patiently,(and maybe even longer for the Mark 2)

Mike #7748

Mk2 #105 60g