Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95145 - 21/05/2002 16:15 Static IP for Riocar?
nytemyst
new poster

Is it possible that i can make it so everytime i replug in my riocar to my computer using Ethernet that the ip doesnt always change? Thanks.

#95146 - 21/05/2002 16:16 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: nytemyst]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is a setting in the Configure Player screen in Emplode.

And by the way, the huge picture in your signature is a bit of an annoyance, you might want to just put some simple text there instead.

#95147 - 22/05/2002 02:18 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: nytemyst]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I'm guessing that it keeps giving itself an address beginning 169.254, yes? If so, then this is a UPnP address. These are auto-assigned every time. If this is the case, you've got two choices:

1. Configure the empeg for a static address in the same range. This is generally safe, if not completely in the spirit of UPnP.
2. Configure your PC for something in a private range (e.g. 192.168.x.y), and the empeg for something in the same range (e.g. 192.168.x.z). This is the correct answer in this case.

If you're at work, then the empeg is probably being given an address by a DHCP server. Theoretically, a device should be given the same address as last time, if you reconnect it before the "lease" on the address expires. If you're getting different addresses in this case, you've got another two choices:

3. Hassle your admin to make the leases longer -- reducing the chance that the address will be reclaimed.
4. Ask your admin to assign a fixed address to the empeg -- the DHCP server can be configured to always hand out the same address to the same device.

IMNSHO, the correct thing to do is to run a DHCP server at home, and go for option 4. If we can persuade everyone to run DHCP servers, then we can take our empegs to anyone's house, or take them to work, and they'll "just do the right thing". This is overkill for most people, however.

#95148 - 22/05/2002 09:38 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: Roger]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
Setting a Static Ip for the Riocar is great!
It comes in handy for having a bookmark to Hijack's Web and Ftp Services.
It allows for developing things radpily without worrying about the IP everytime you reboot.

There is one thing to note however. If you have it set to a static IP at home, and you connect the Riocar to another computer (at home or at work), you might need to use a USB cable to be able to re-configure the player to use DHCP to be able to connect to the player again.

It's better to let DHCP assign the same IP to the player than to hardcode it into the player. You might be worth a FAQ entry if it's not already there.

#95149 - 22/05/2002 09:45 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: Roger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
If you use Hijack, you can also use the @HOME and @WORK stuff to make it behave differently at home and at work (for instance static IP at home and DHCP at work).

/Michael

#95150 - 22/05/2002 09:48 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or you can use DHCP and have the FINDEMPEG utility assign a hostname to the player. Covered in the FAQ here.

#95151 - 22/05/2002 12:37 Re: Static IP for Riocar? [Re: tfabris]
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
Tony,

do you think you could make that FAQ entry point directly to Trevors website? Helps not to need to scroll through pages of posts to find the right file...

Thanks!

Armin