Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95481 - 23/05/2002 11:26 The relentless forward march of MSFT progress...
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
While looking up some unrelated news, I stumbled across this story in the Washington Post.

If ever I think that I am being unfair in my opinions of MSFT and their products and business, something like this comes along to reinforce the point that their arrogance and greedy self-interest know no bounds.

Next: Gates and Ashcroft hold joint press conference to announce formation of HUACC (House Un-American Computing Committee).

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#95482 - 23/05/2002 13:30 Re: The relentless forward march of MSFT progress... [Re: jimhogan]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I bet this quote from the article doesn't come as any surprise...

"A Microsoft Corp. spokesman ... also said Microsoft did not focus on potential security flaws."

#95483 - 23/05/2002 13:38 Re: The relentless forward march of MSFT progress. [Re: davec]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I bet this quote from the article doesn't come as any surprise...

Yep, all that falling glass can hurt!

The part that ticked me off the most was:

" John Stenbit, an assistant secretary of defense and the Defense Department's chief information officer, said Microsoft has said using free software with commercial software might violate the intellectual-property rights of companies such as Microsoft. Stenbit said the issue is legally 'murky.'"

Is this CIO actually swallowing all or some of this?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#95484 - 23/05/2002 13:41 Re: The relentless forward march of MSFT progress... [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Yeah, I read this today too and almost posted it... Amazing how they say that the Pentagon is morally wrong for using open source software...