Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#955 - 23/11/1999 17:05 empeg with VirtualPC?
jester
new poster

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Anyone managed to get an empeg player running with VirtualPC 3.0 on a Mac? USB is fully supported, but my experience so far is that emplode hangs when it tries to make a connection to the empeg player. I read about it taking a long time and not painting the screen, but I let it sit for half an hour and it didn't do anything. Interestingly enough, though, when you first launch emplode and it tries to make a connection to the unit via USB, it _does_ consistently spin the hard drive in the empeg car player for a few seconds, but then nothing after that.

Why do I get the feeling that, with unit #309, I'm the first Mac user to try this?

#956 - 23/11/1999 18:34 Re: empeg with VirtualPC? [Re: jester]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
>Why do I get the feeling that, with unit #309,
>I'm the first Mac user to try this?

Um, because you didn't read my previous messages about it? :)

Emplode and Virtual PC don't get along at all. Not even with serial connections. At least, not in my experience, and I've tried it with Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows 2000...

I don't have any idea _why_ they don't get along, unfortunately...

-Dan

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman
Caltech Computer Science
[email protected]
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#957 - 24/11/1999 04:25 Re: empeg with VirtualPC? [Re: jester]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The problem is, USB isn't "fully supported" by the emulation. If it was, it'd work :)

We're going to try and get a copy of virtualPC and see if we can replicate the behaviour, but it's hard to try and support an emulated environment with subtle differences to the real thing.

Hugo

#958 - 25/11/1999 01:49 Re: empeg with VirtualPC? [Re: dmz]
gui

I have also posted my lack of success with this one. Have wasted the best part of 2 weekends since I got my empeg trying to get it to work.

Sent an email to Connectix Tech support - please let us know if they contact anyone at empeg! I figured it was worth a go

Phil