Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95695 - 24/05/2002 10:47 Keyless Entry issues in Hondas
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
I have heard the rumor that the Honda stock radios control the keyless entry system in some models. I had no problem in my 2000 Insight, but what about Civics?

How many here have replaced the stock head unit in a 1996 Civic EX? Any issues?

I'm going to put my Mk1 into my girlfriends car. Obviously anything that goes wrong with the car after that will be my fault. Just don't want to add anything unecessary...

Armin

#95696 - 24/05/2002 10:56 Re: Keyless Entry issues in Hondas [Re: Armin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My 2000 Accord doesn't have any problem with the keyless entry system, and the stock stereo has been completely removed in favor of the empeg.

The only known problem with the empeg related to keyless entry is documented here.

#95697 - 24/05/2002 11:13 Re: Keyless Entry issues in Hondas [Re: tfabris]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
That's not quite it. You may have probelms with the keyless entry, as some Civics do have the keyless entry unit built into the head unit. There is an accepted method of basicaly shoving the old head unit back into the dash and leaving power to it so that it can still operate the keyless entry. Do a search for civic audio in general, as it won't be an empeg specific problem. I know in my wireing harness quest for an adapter to plug into my factory radio, I came accross wiring harnesses that were designed for civics that had the right wires broken off for a new HU and the other wires still attached to the stock HU.

This may not apply to you, however, as it's only some civics...

Matthew

#95698 - 24/05/2002 12:27 Re: Keyless Entry issues in Hondas [Re: matthew_k]
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
Hmmmm, so there is a grain of truth to it! I guess the best way to find out will be to unplug the factory unit and see what happens...

So what exactly did they do? Use the HU's radio as a receiver for the keyless remote?

Armin

#95699 - 25/05/2002 07:42 Re: Keyless Entry issues in Hondas [Re: Armin]
essseye
new poster

I have a 99 civic and removing the factory HU didn't affect my keyless entry. I'm not exactly sure if your 96 would be the same.