Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96407 - 29/05/2002 17:40 changing lens?
nikko

Ok, I must be losing my mind. I could have sworn I saw an FAQ entry with pics detailing how to change the lens. Now I can't find it. Can someone point me to it? And while I have your attention, I seem to recall reading that changing your lens would void the warranty. Am I imagining that? How can that be true if Rio sold different lens themselves?

#96408 - 29/05/2002 17:49 Re: changing lens? [Re: nikko]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
It wont void the warranty. All you need is a little allen wrench to pull of the screws on the front and to remove the rotary knob. Check the "Lenes" link on the top of this BBS for other colors you can get...

#96409 - 29/05/2002 17:55 Re: changing lens? [Re: nikko]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hello Nikko

Changing the lens will not void your warranty, opening the case will.

To change the lens, use a 2.5 mm hex head (allen) wrench to loosen the four machine screws holding the facia on (do it slowly the first time, they may be set in place with a drop of contact cement on each).

Remove the rotary knob by pulling straight out on it, finish removing the machine screws then slowly work the facia clear of the player. You may have to move the pull-out handle around a bit to make the facia clear. Be careful to not lose the four angled buttons, they may come off with the facia and then fall out of it...Check for a black "O" ring washer either inside the rotary knob shaft hole, or on the shaft itself. If you have an earlier player you should have it...newer player's rotary buttons were modified to work without needing it. If you do find one, you will need this valuable piece for proper operation of the rotary knob later. If it's on the shaft, carefully pull it off and place into the hole in the rotary knob all the way flat and flush to the stop inside.

To put the new lens in, simply postion it over the four screw holes and align up with the body of the player. If you have a RF coated lens (it has a shiny bluish-purple metallic looking filmed surface on one side), make sure the "shiny" side goes on towards the vacuum flourescent display (VFD). Newer players have lenses with an anti-reflective coating applied and have a "matte" finish look to them. In this case, either side can face the VFD.

Holding the lens in place, carefully place the facia (with the four angled buttons in place) onto the player. Ensure that the four angled buttons are properly seated in their corresponding switch recepticles. Alternately, you can also place the four angled buttons into their switch recepticles on the front of the player. Hold the player tilted up to keep them in place and then position the facia down over top of them. Be careful not to knock them out of position when maneuvering the facia onto the player if you choose this method.

Holding the facia in place, reinsert and tighten the screws slowly and evenly. DO NOT over-tighten the screws or else your buttons will stick and not function properly and you risk cracking the lens or facia. The contact cement on the screws help prevent them from loosening up and they will hold everything firmly in place without having to be overly tight.

Last, replace the rotary knob back on the shaft. If you have the type with the little "O" ring washer, again ensure that you've placed the washer into the hole in the knob until it's seated all the way flat onto the stop inside.

When you put the rotary knob on, don't push it too far onto the shaft and make sure it does not bind or rub on the facia or lens..if it does, you'll have to re-adjust those parts until it can turn easily. Also make sure that it will still push in and out freely as well without binding. If it binds in the "in" postion after your first press, you will find yourself selecting and activating menus when you don't desire it....

While you're doing all of this, take care not to bump the VFD or let the player drop out of your hands, tragic results could occur.

I've changed my lens many times now without much difficulty. It only takes a few minutes once you've done it a few times...

#96410 - 29/05/2002 18:41 Re: changing lens? [Re: ineedcolor]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have never seen such a detailed explanation. .

#96411 - 29/05/2002 18:43 Re: changing lens? [Re: ]
ineedcolor
addict

Must be all those years I spent as an Infantry instructor....

#96412 - 29/05/2002 21:11 Re: changing lens? [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only thing the FAQ mentions is not to over-tighten the allen screws when replacing the fascia, or else you will make the buttons stick.

I figured the rest was rather self-explanatory.

#96413 - 30/05/2002 09:12 Re: changing lens? [Re: tfabris]
ineedcolor
addict

Asked and answered.

#96414 - 30/05/2002 10:05 Re: changing lens? [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that explanation deserves a spot in the faq.

#96415 - 30/05/2002 10:06 Re: changing lens? [Re: ineedcolor]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA