Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96854 - 31/05/2002 13:50 Hex color codes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made a website- http://www.geocities.com/pw1104/

It displays charts of color codes. It works on Internet Explorer 5.5, but does not work on Netscape 4.04 (I don't know why). I haven't tried it on any other browsers.

Let me know if you get any errors or something doesn't look right on your computer/browser/resolution/whatever. For some reason it gets an error saying a parenthesis is expected every few times it loads but I am positive that it is an error in an ad generated by the server because every time it gets that error the ad doesn't load and I haven't seen the error when viewing the page from my harddrive.

Tell me what you think. Criticsm is appreciated.

#96855 - 31/05/2002 14:11 Re: Hex color codes [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way, it looks like crap if you have your computer set to 256 colors. It looks best at 16 or 32 bit.

#96856 - 31/05/2002 18:44 Re: Hex color codes [Re: ]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I never actually got past the Geocities / Nicole Kidman photo gallery Advert, ahem!

#96857 - 31/05/2002 23:16 Re: Hex color codes [Re: ]
drakino
carpal tunnel

First, fix it in Netscape. Use the javascript console to help out, type javascript: in the URL to open it. Any decent web master can make his creations work in all browsers, and generally if it works in IE and NS 4, it works on all the other ones as well.

Secondly, learn how to make it so the popup window does not have to be closed. Once you do these two things, the site will pretty much be complete, and you can move on to something else to furthur challenge your web skills and allow you to learn new things.

And if you run out of ideas for web pages, try replacing a program or two here with your own creation. I dumped my spreadsheet gas tracker for my car in favor of a self made PHP one. I also have many other similar things just running away on my server, all because I needed something to challenge me to learn more. I am finally moving away from web creation, so my skills will only be used for the things that do need to be in web form, like riocar.org.

#96858 - 01/06/2002 14:54 Re: Hex color codes [Re: drakino]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey thanks for the tips. I changed it up quite a bt. It works in Netscape 6 without errors or anything but I haven't gotten a couple of things to work right in Netscape yet. But it works perfect in IE.

I fixed the popup thing so you can now open up as many popups as you like, or 256 rather since there are 256 colors on each page (the popups don't work in Netscape yet). And now the color code is displayed when you onMouseOver a color instead of having each color code written on each color. I think it looks much better like this (although, I haven't gotten this to work in Netscape yet either). And eventually I'll probably make some more color charts.

And I'm just curious, is there good money to be made with advertising, assuming I had my own domain name and stuff and assuming I had a decent amount of hits? Say like if I had one banner ad on each page? Anyone?

Edited by Yz33d (01/06/2002 14:57)

#96859 - 02/06/2002 00:33 Re: Hex color codes [Re: ]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I might be wrong, but it's unlikely anything will work correctly in Netscape 6. It's a piece of crap. If you mean 6.2, then that's fine. I was under the impression that 6 was buggy as hell.

Drakino, while agree with you that a webmaster should get his creations to work fine in both browsers, Netscape still displays things incorrectly. It seems to have a mind of its own when making tables. But that's the subject for another thread...

#96860 - 02/06/2002 07:46 Re: Hex color codes [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah 6.2 is what I meant, sorry.

#96861 - 02/06/2002 08:05 Re: Hex color codes [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Anytime I say Netscape 6, assume I mean the newest version, or better yet, change Netscape to Mozilla (Since Netscape is just an AOL ad filled version of Mozilla).

Ture, Netscape 4.x programing can be a PITA, but if you can do it, you are a true webmaster :-) There are of course some things that NS4 simply can't do, but for anything beyond that, it should always work in both NS 6 and IE 6.

A few last tips, make the popup window be recycled instead of popping up a ton of them. And better yet, make it so clicking on a color will pop up a window. Then clicking on a second color will pop up a second window for a comparison. Lastly, recycle those two windows, bouncing back and forth every click.