Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98659 - 11/06/2002 13:29 decisions, decisions
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
ok. i've basically crapped my stock speakers for my honda civic because i had a hifonics zeus z700 amp installed to drive everything. the tweeters are cricketting, which is very annoying. the rears are good still (no gain helped), and my hsu research 12" sub is sounding awesome.

i have a dilemma. i can buy one of these e-bay Boston Acoustics 6.5 pro componentss for 310$, or i can wait however long my friend and get 110$ alpine components (works for them, but kinda sketchy. i ordered the alpines 2 months ago). is the price too much of a trade off for the wait? should i even bother w/ the BAs? is the quality really that great compared to the alpines?

anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

#98660 - 11/06/2002 14:46 Re: decisions, decisions [Re: image]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
is the quality really that great compared to the alpines?

Unfortunately, that's kind of like asking "How high is up?"

There are some people who claim to be able to hear the difference in audio quality between different brands of speaker wire. (I think they're deluding themselves). There are other people who are completely happy with an AM radio and a single $6 speaker in the middle of the dashboard of their pickup truck.

I pretend to be an audidophile, and my personal "cutoff" point is about $400 for a pair of mid-range (say four to six inch) speakers. Above that I really don't hear the difference. Below about $200 for a pair, I can tell the difference.

It is quite possible (indeed, common) for magazine tests that claim one speaker is better than another based on results of oscilloscope tests that display differences inaudible to the human ear. Should I pay extra for a speaker that has a flatter response curve than another speaker between 25,000 and 30,000 Hz? I don't think so.

Boston Acoustic speakers have a very good reputation. If you can hear the difference, then the price is worth it no matter what the price is.

YMMV.

tanstaafl.

#98661 - 11/06/2002 16:42 Re: decisions, decisions [Re: image]
visuvius
addict

I strongly, strongly recommend getting the Pro Series Bostons. I have the 5.5's w/ the Neo5 tweeter and they sound amazing. I've heard the higher end Alpines, (i'm sure not the ones you're talking about), and there was a definite difference. Anyhow, you really will not be disappointed in the Proseries.

#98662 - 12/06/2002 23:53 Re: decisions, decisions [Re: tanstaafl.]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I love the Boston Pro's but the mounting depth was too great, so I had to look for speaks that were just as good. I found a/d/s component speakers were awesome. I love mine and I think they might actually sound better than the Pro's. The sound is a bit more natural.

anywhoo...