Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41372 - 11/10/2001 11:25 Insalled at last
Greenbean
new poster

Loc: Oklahoma, US
Well, I finally got my Mk2 installed this week after a long wait. I wanted to wait until my tuner module got here - I drive across Oklahoma and Texas a lot and weather radio is nice to have out here.

Anyway, I got the install done in Plano TX (near Dallas) at the new Car Toys on Hwy 75. I know that there has been some bad press concerning "car audio stores" here but they did a nice job on my truck. This was only the second Rio these guys had done so everyone in the whole place got involved. I kept all my speakers but got a new amp.

My 6-disc changer had been broken for a few months so I don't really miss not having a CD. I had been using it at my desk for a while so I already had my playlists in place and music loaded. I need to set my dimmer to be brighter in daylight.

My first impressions are good. The quality of sound really highlights some of the rip errors in my older MP3's - it's time to re-rip a few CD's.

The volume knob "gearing" is very slow compared to my old stock radio (Ford Expedition). Is there a way to make one "click" on the unit move the volume two or three levels instead of one?

I want to thank everyone here. I have done 100's of searches on this boad and gained so much valuable information. I think the Empeg is far ahead of it's time and it does not suprise me that the average consumer is not ready to pay for this unique combination of eligant sofware and hardware.

Thanks,
Greenbean

#41373 - 11/10/2001 12:31 Re: Insalled at last [Re: Greenbean]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Wow I didn't know the car toys at 75 and parker was open already, even though I drive by it every day. Did they seem to know what they are doing? Do they charge as much as Earmark(expensive) or are they a best buy kind of price range?

Sean

#41374 - 11/10/2001 12:53 Re: Insalled at last [Re: Terminator]
grgcombs
addict

I went to the one on 635 near the galleria last weekend. I can't say they were exactly friendly. Of course one thing I've noticed since moving to Dallas is that you have to dress up to go to the grocery store now. Since I was in the usual, T-shirt and shorts, they were probably a little incredulous that I even knew what a RioCar was, much less owned one.

Their store looked clean though. They had the token red viper in the garage with "don't touch" signs all over it. I wasn't too impressed with their selection. It was a little smallish and cramped. I didn't pay too much attention to prices.

g

--
Rio Car (40Gig) Blue/Red/Green/Amber Face (Looking for 2.0!)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#41375 - 11/10/2001 12:58 Re: Insalled at last [Re: grgcombs]
Terminator
old hand

LOL! Dressing up to go to the grocery store? What kind of neighborhood are you living in?

Sean

#41376 - 11/10/2001 15:16 Re: Insalled at last [Re: Terminator]
grgcombs
addict

Hey it's Dallas, right? Even the laundromats have valet parking!

--
Rio Car (40Gig) Blue/Red/Green/Amber Face (Looking for 2.0!)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

#41377 - 11/10/2001 16:44 Re: Insalled at last [Re: grgcombs]
Greenbean
new poster

Loc: Oklahoma, US
Car Toys had just opened. They were super friendly and took good care of me. Their prices seemed high to me, but I haven't bought any car audio in the last 15 years or so.

I did not buy my player from them, of course.

Wear whatever you want, but don't leave your superior attitude ar home - you'll need it around Dallas.

#41378 - 11/10/2001 17:49 Re: Insalled at last [Re: Greenbean]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

The volume knob "gearing" is very slow compared to my old stock radio (Ford Expedition). Is there a way to make one "click" on the unit move the volume two or three levels instead of one?

Try adjusting the gain on your amp(s) up. This can have severe side effects, but you may achieve a more sensitive volume control.

Side effects could include but not limited to: more pronounced loudness setting effects, more background noise from increased amp sensitivity, easier to kill your speakers / ears

Welcome to the club!!

-Doug
Mk2-12G Blue (Now A/R Green)

#41379 - 11/10/2001 21:35 Re: Insalled at last [Re: Greenbean]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Turning the knob faster causes a bigger change per click, however turning it very fast doesn't work well. Experiment a little bit, it's feels somewhat strange at first but it's fairly usable once you get used to it.

Borislav