Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#64067 - 28/01/2002 20:45 Cannot see my empeg through emplode using USB
dmob
journeyman

Loc: Boston
I have been using my new empeg at work (Windows 2000) up until now and everything has been working fine. I just tried to install it on my home computer (Windows XP Home Edition) and emplode is not finding the empeg over USB when it starts up. I installed emplode first, as the instructions state, and then hooked up the empeg. The driver seemed to install just fine but now I just can't see the player!! I am still running version 1.02 of the software but so I don't know if that means anything... I have attached my emplode log so you can see what is happening. Any help would be great!!

Attachments
62398-emplode.log (75 downloads)

#64068 - 28/01/2002 20:54 Re: Cannot see my empeg through emplode using USB [Re: dmob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think the problem everyone is having with WindowsXP is that it's got some kind of a Rio USB driver included with the operating system. XP owners will automatically choose that driver when prompted instead of going in and selecting the correct Rio Car driver.

Has anyone successfully debugged this situation, and can anyone outline the EXACT steps in XP for de-selecting the piece 'o crap Windows driver and selecting the correct Emplode-installed driver? If so, I will put it into the FAQ with credit.

And Dmob: You are the perfect guniea pig, wait for the instructions to appear in this thread, then let us know if they worked for you.

In the meantime, use ethernet if you can.

#64069 - 28/01/2002 21:18 Re: Cannot see my empeg through emplode using USB [Re: tfabris]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I'm running WinXP and the driver it installed for the Rio Car is dated 1/3/2001 and is from SonicBlue.

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\riohd.sys
Sonicblue Inc.
2.0-beta3

Edit: I should add, that emplode 2.0b7a connects to my empeg just fine.

Edited by Yang (28/01/2002 21:24)

#64070 - 28/01/2002 21:37 Re: Cannot see my empeg through emplode using USB [Re: tfabris]
dmob
journeyman

Loc: Boston
Well now it seems to connect only when it feels like it. I disconnected the empeg and then re-connected it and emplode found it. When it tried to do the first synch it froze and I had to kill it through device manager. Once I did that and re-started emplode it couldn't find the player again. So, once again I disconnected and re-connected the empeg and whattaya know, emplode finds it again. Now the synch seems to be working but I can't be sure that this won't happen again. Just to add more information to my post, here is the driver that is currently being used:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\empegcar.sys

...oh great, now emplode has frozen on "Rebuilding music database" after synching up all my new tunes. Bummer

#64071 - 29/01/2002 00:05 Re: Cannot see my empeg through emplode using USB [Re: dmob]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I had problems with connecting via the USB connector in WinXP.. It would get to the 'rebooting empeg' stage and never reboot the empeg. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the empeg, but now I use the ethernet connection and never have any problems..