Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#81092 - 15/03/2002 16:06 Empeg Install and Amplifier
hemanthpr
new poster

Hi All,
I just got my new 30Gig empeg and am excited about it. I have a Honda 96 and the factory install doesn't have Aux inputs. I also do not have an amplifier. When i consulted an audio dealer about the installation options, he suggested 2 options
1. Buy an Amplifier, Tuner and install it.
2. Buy a CD\AM|FM with Aux inputs and install it along with the Empeg.

I do need the AM/FM and not concerned about the sound quality/Amplifier...etc I also do not want to spend another 300-400$ on top of my Empeg purchase.

Please suggest me options for my Empeg installation with the cheapest solution.

Thanks.

-Hemanth

#81093 - 15/03/2002 16:14 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: hemanthpr]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Sounds like you've got 2 good suggestions already.
A second deck would be the cheapest, installation cost wise.
Adding an amp doesn't give you AM/FM.

What's there to deliberate on?
As long as you've got room in the dash sounds like a no brainer.

#81094 - 15/03/2002 16:16 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: bmiller]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
...Retracting a bit..

Of course you could always put an FM modulator in which would connect your empeg to your stock radio via the antenna. Then you just tune your stock radio to the appropriate frequency and, viola you get MP3s.
Mounting the empeg in a good location might pose a problem, however.

#81095 - 15/03/2002 16:30 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: hemanthpr]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
the cheapest option is going to be buying a head unit with aux inputs. Shop on Ebay for a cheap one. If you buy an amp, your going to have to spend way more than you want. you'll have to buy the amp, plus an installation kit, plus spend a day to pull your interoir apart and find a suitable location to mount amp, and then you'll have to fish all the wires to you speakers, or splice into the factory harness. then run power and find a ground for the amp. the list goes on. it sounds better when you have an amp, (depending on your prefrence) but then you'll want to get into installing better speakers than factory. point being you'll always be buying stuff.
trust me im just finished an install with an amp and the empeg and a damned bose factory system.

Edited by Whitey (15/03/2002 16:30)

#81096 - 15/03/2002 16:38 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: hemanthpr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is there room in your Honda dashboard for two stereos?

On mine, there looks like there would ALMOST be room, but not quite. It's like about 1.75-din.

#81097 - 15/03/2002 16:43 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: hemanthpr]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Please suggest me options for my Empeg installation with the cheapest solution.

Assuming you have room in your dash for two head units (i.e., a "Double Din" setup:

1) Go to ebay, do a search on "CD Player", sort by auction end date. This will bring up about 5,000 hits.

2) Go down the list, each time you see one in your price range, check the features of it, do a Google search if necessary, and see if: (a) it has internal amplfication (nearly all of them do); and (b) if it has Auxilliary Inputs (nearly none of them do).

3) Bid on it, buy it, and replace your existing CD player with the one from ebay.

4) Connect the empeg outputs to the Auxilliary Inputs of the new CD player.

You should be able to do this whole thing for $50-$100, depending on how much of the work you do yourself.

tanstaafl.

#81098 - 15/03/2002 16:53 Re: Empeg Install and Amplifier [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also, don't forget to read the FAQ on car installation...