Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#143725 - 16/02/2003 20:35 Trouble with ethernet connection
newguy1
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts,USA
Id like to get Ynot's Emphatic lyrics viewer installed but it looks like i need my ethernet connection in order to do this.I have a nic card already as i am connected to a cable modem.I picked up a lynksys 5 port hub and got the player and cable modem connected to that.My internet connection works but ive spent 2 days trying to figure out how to get the player connected.It connects fine with USB and serial but thats all.I put the players IP address in emplode and it just searches and doesn't find it.Ive tried regular cables and crossover cables still nothing.Im running win2k. I think i need to set my PC address to the players address but i dont think i can do that because my PC is set to obtain address automatically.I'm getting quite frustrated and any help would be appreciated.Thanks

#143726 - 16/02/2003 20:49 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
Magnus
new poster

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think I might see your problem.

Your Win2k box is connecting to the outside world and getting a DHCP'd address from the cable company. Say this address is something like 24.28.111.222/255.255.255.0. The Win2k box now believes it lives on a network with other machines in 24.28.111 land.

(I'm assuming here) your Empeg's probably set up with a static IP like 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 since your cable modem probably won't give you more than one DHCP address. Your Empeg believes it lives in 192.168.1 land.

So when you plug them both into the same hub, they still won't see each other because they believe they live in completely different neighborhoods and in order to see any other addresses, they'd have to go out through the internet instead of looking right next door.

What I think you'd have to do, is set your Win2k box's IP to be say one higher than the Empeg and do without the internet while you're connecting to it. If the Empeg's 192.168.1.1, set the Win2k box to 192.168.1.2, plug them both into the hub with straight through cables and you should be able to connect.

You won't get on the internet until you reset the Win2k box to DHCP and get a new IP from the cable company, but you should be able to connect to the Empeg. It's worth a shot anyway.

Good luck with it.
-Magnus

#143727 - 16/02/2003 22:04 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: Magnus]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't believe that's correct.

Assuming that Mike has his cable modem attached to the Linksys and his computer also attached to the Linksys, then he should be getting an IP address from the Linksys. It is, however, possible that he's attached it incorrectly.

The cable modem must be attached to a specific port on the Linksys, one that's specifically for the outside. I forget what this is labelled, but it shouldn't be one of the standard ports (usually labelled 1-4), or the Uplink port (which is on the same LAN as 1-4, but is already crossed over). Make sure it's plugged into the other one.

Then pull up a command prompt on your Win2k box and run ``ipconfig /all''. Make sure that your IP address is 192.168.1.x. This will confirm that you're getting your IP address from the Linksys and not the cable modem. You might need to reboot it all to make it sync up (there are easier ways, but reboots usually cover them all).

Then make sure that you can still access the internet. If not, reread the Linksys install instructions. If you can, then attach the empeg to one of the remaining ports (but not the Uplink port). Then power it on. It should get an IP address from the Linksys. Then run Emplode. In the ``Select Player'' dialog, click on the Options button. Make sure that ``Network Broadcast'' is selected. Click OK and see if the empeg shows up. If not, attach to it via serial. (I think this will also work with USB if you can't deal with serial for some reason.) Once it loads up, select File -> Configure Player and click on the Networking tab. Make sure that ``Automatic Configuration (DHCP)'' is selected. Okay out and sync.

Then try it again over ethernet. You might have to reboot the empeg to get it to get an IP address; I forget.

If none of that works, get back to us.

(The reason that the internet access might be working without the Linksys providing the routing is that it's still working as a hub and the computer could be getting an address from the cable modem via the hub.)

Edit: Oh, wait. Maybe Magnus is correct. Did you get a hub or a router?

Edited by wfaulk (16/02/2003 22:07)

#143728 - 17/02/2003 12:57 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: wfaulk]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
He said in his post he had a hub. In that case his home IP would be that of the cable modem. if he got a router then his empeg and his Win2k box would be in the same 192.168.0.1 "neighborhood".

#143729 - 17/02/2003 15:08 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
Jonathan
new poster

Loc: Skövde, Sweden
To make thing simple you could just set the ip address of you empeg to be in the same range as that of the win2k box. It's not "nice", but the cable connection will usually not allow anymore then the one address it hands out via dhcp to reach through it, so you should be fine even if it is a "public" ip address.
The next choice would be to set up a second ip address to the nic in the win2k box, this one within the same range as the private one the empeg is using. Not using win2k myself so I don't know how / if you can, xp and linux neither have any problems with it though.

Or you can just do as suggested and leave the internet be while connecting to the empeg.

// Jonathan

#143730 - 17/02/2003 17:06 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: Jonathan]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

To make thing simple you could just set the ip address of you empeg to be in the same range as that of the win2k box. It's not "nice", but the cable connection will usually not allow anymore then the one address it hands out via dhcp to reach through it, so you should be fine even if it is a "public" ip address.

An interesting idea. How does a PC like that normally talk to a fellow subscriber with an IP on the same subnet? My cable modem gives me an IP and says its on a class C subnet, but I'm sure it would take a route packets addressed to other machines on the same subnet as my IP (proxy ARP?)

The next choice would be to set up a second ip address to the nic in the win2k box, this one within the same range as the private one the empeg is using. Not using win2k myself so I don't know how / if you can, xp and linux neither have any problems with it though.

On Win2K, if you have DHCP enabled, the option to add another IP to the same interface is disabled. Linux lets you have DHCP and static IPs on the same interface, not sure what Windows' problem is.

#143731 - 17/02/2003 17:15 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: TheAmigo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
On Win2K, if you have DHCP enabled, the option to add another IP to the same interface is disabled. Linux lets you have DHCP and static IPs on the same interface, not sure what Windows' problem is.
Yeah, that's only a problem in Win2k specifically. It bugs me, too. You can combine static and dynamic addressing on any other version of Windows, just not 2k. You can work around it on 2K with third party software, but the one I used for a while was a kludge to use and it didn't work that well. I'd like to see a "proper" work-around in 2k itself.

#143732 - 17/02/2003 17:41 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: TheAmigo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

How does a PC like that normally talk to a fellow subscriber with an IP on the same subnet?
The modem is working as a bridge, not a router. So it works just like you were all on a slow LAN.

Actually, on mine, it looks like you're right; it does do proxy arp. I'm not sure how this is implemented on my ISP's router, but an arp request for anyone else on my subnet gets the router's MAC address, and a traceroute to those IP addresses shows it going through the router. Odd.

#143733 - 17/02/2003 20:10 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: wfaulk]
newguy1
enthusiast

Hi guys thanks for the info .I'm dealing with 2 feet of snow right now here in Massachusetts,so ill try your suggestions as soon as possible.BTW when I type in ipconfig/all i get an error that command won't work. Edit: I do have the modem connected to the uplink port on the hub and the player and computer on the other ports.

Edited by newguy1 (17/02/2003 20:13)

#143734 - 17/02/2003 20:37 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

There needs to be a space between the `g' and the slash.

Do you have a model number for the Linksys device you bought?

#143735 - 17/02/2003 21:32 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: wfaulk]
newguy1
enthusiast

The model number is EFAHO5W.I just remembered that i can connect the cable modem with USB.In that case then i can just connect the player to the computer without any hub and then I could configure the network to work with the player right?

#143736 - 17/02/2003 23:28 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

i can connect the cable modem with USB.In that case then i can just connect the player to the computer without any hub and then I could configure the network to work with the player right?

Yep, that's another option... should be pretty straight forward to do. You'll either need a crossover cable between your PC and empeg or plug both into your hub.

I tried going to Linksys.com, clicking products, then putting that model number in the search and it said not found. Amazon has it tho, and yep, it's just a hub.

#143737 - 18/02/2003 09:07 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: TheAmigo]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

To be clear, the cable ISP only provides one IP address. A router of the sort that Linksys would make obtains that address and works as a intermediary for the rest of the computers on your network, by providing fake IP addresses to those computers and translating their traffic to the real IP address.

Using one of these would work because your computer and your empeg would both get compatible addresses from the router, making it easy for them to communicate with each other.

The hub bought is nothing more than an ethernet distribution device. It is basically a Y-splitter for ethernet. But there's still only one IP address provided by the cable modem, which is acquired by the computer; the empeg will get a pseudo-random IP address about which the computer and cable modem will have no information because the IP address has already been taken. In fact, it's possible that if the empeg was booted while the computer was off, it might get that IP address, but cable ISPs often make sure the given IP address is only given to a single ethernet interface, so that might not actually happen.

#143738 - 18/02/2003 12:43 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: TheAmigo]
newguy1
enthusiast

Ok I got the cable modem working with USB.I now plug the crossover cable directly to pc and player right?Any special settings I need to set up also?

#143739 - 18/02/2003 13:04 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I now plug the crossover cable directly to pc and player right?

Yep. You should get a link light confirming the connection.
Any special settings I need to set up also?

Just set them both to have IPs on the same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and .2).

Anyone know if the empeg does link-local? If so, you can just set both for DHCP and after failing, they'll pick IPs on 169.254.x.x and be able to talk.

#143740 - 18/02/2003 13:30 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: TheAmigo]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
It appears to link local.... I'm running xp on my laptop and can simply unplug the network cable from the office network and plug the crossover cable in to the laptop and empeg, run jemplode and it connects immediately.

Nothing to it with dhcp enabled.

#143741 - 18/02/2003 13:34 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: Jerz]
newguy1
enthusiast

Maybe i should try jemplode instead of emplod as im having no luck.Is it really that difficult to get working or am i that ignorant.

#143742 - 18/02/2003 13:49 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ehternet and IP are complicated.

If it doesn't magically work the first time, a lot of stuff has to be done manually.

How do you have it set up right now? Cable->USB, empeg->Ethernet?

I've never dealt with IP over USB. Is it possible that it's disabling his Ethernet card?

Try running ``ipconfig /all'' again, this time with the space, and see what the output is. Also, connect the empeg back up via serial and see what its network settings are like using the method I posted before.

#143743 - 18/02/2003 14:04 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: wfaulk]
newguy1
enthusiast

How do you have it set up right now? Cable->USB, empeg->Ethernet? Yes that is correct.The link light on the back of the player is on.When i run ipconfig /all a box appears but disappears in 2ms so i cant read what it says.I also have the serial connected at the same time I dont know if that matters or not.I have the network tab to auto configuration(dhcp).Also on the configure player box when emplode first starts up what boxes should be ticked for connection type just network broadcast and/or specific address.Also thanks to everyone for there help so far.

#143744 - 18/02/2003 14:06 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Start a command window first (cmd) then run the ipconfig /all command inside that to make it hang around...

/Michael

#143745 - 18/02/2003 14:07 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
The only time that I had a problem was when I first got the player and didn't have the latest software on both the player and my laptop.

After that, it's been a breeze...:)

You've got a lot of great help on this board...someone will figure it out...

Good luck.

#143746 - 18/02/2003 14:41 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection *DELETED* [Re: Jerz]
newguy1
enthusiast

Post deleted by newguy1

#143747 - 18/02/2003 14:52 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmm. If you plug in your empeg to your ethernet card with a crossover cable, it should work properly, again, assuming that you haven't got the empeg set to a specific IP address. (It does get one of those link local addresses, doesn't it?)

#143748 - 18/02/2003 15:12 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: wfaulk]
newguy1
enthusiast

OMG I think I got it working. I rebooted the player and then the Ip address jived with computer and emplode found it!!!!!! Im giong to reboot computer and see if i can still connect to everything.

#143749 - 18/02/2003 15:20 Re: Trouble with ethernet connection [Re: newguy1]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Do yourself a quick favor - edit your previous post and remove your cable information (IP address especially).

Glad to hear that you got everything working. Consider getting a firewalling cable router