Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#980 - 02/12/1999 14:04 Resetting To Default State?
jester
new poster

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Is there a way to reset the empeg player to it's default shipping state, specifically the contents of the hard drives? I had a hang last night during syncing (ok, I _think_ it was hung, it definitely wasn't doing the "checking disk integrity" part, but I may have jumped the gun a little) and when I got it booted back up and re-synced again, everything was gone. I had only downloaded about two gigabytes worth of stuff, so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

However, I notice that I didn't get the two gigabytes back. It appears that the tracks I had put there are still out there somewhere, but not accessible. Even though I've got a lot of space, I'd really like that two gigabytes back.

Any hints?

jester
Sunnyvale, CA
MkI / 20GB / Blue / SN00309

#981 - 02/12/1999 14:21 Re: Resetting To Default State? [Re: jester]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The tracks shouldn't have "gone" - they may well have been moved to the "Unattached tunes" playlist though.

Did all your tunes "vanish", or just the ones in that particular download?

Probably a good idea to send this to [email protected] !

Hugo

#982 - 02/12/1999 15:31 Re: Resetting To Default State? [Re: altman]
jester
new poster

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
The tracks shouldn't have "gone" - they may well have been moved to the "Unattached tunes" playlist though.

I used to have an "Unnattached Items" playlist that would keep showing up (with nothing in it) no matter how many times I deleted it. I think it showed up after the very first time I hung syncing, the day I got the unit. Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there all the time or not.

However, after my most recent mishap, I no longer have the "Unnattached Items" playlist. It's just not there.

Did all your tunes "vanish", or just the ones in that particular download?

Everything. After it synced, there were no tunes, no playlists, no nothing. When the player booted itself (I had to cycle power) it spent a little longer than usual on, I think, "Rebuilding Music Database", and then booted with nothing there. When I synced with emplode, it spent some time on "Checking Disk Integrity", and in fact after a few minutes actually drew the progress bar at 50% and then spent a few more minutes with the same message. Perhaps it did the first disk, and was moving on to the second?

After downloading maybe 600mb of stuff to it, I noticed my space level was around 15.5GB, whereby before I lost everything I had maybe 16.?GB left (out of 18.?GB total) so I'm pretty sure it didn't give back the 2gb that was there before.

Probably a good idea to send this to [email protected] !

Will do.

jester
Sunnyvale, CA
MkI / 20GB / Blue / SN00309

#983 - 03/12/1999 03:13 Re: Resetting To Default State? [Re: jester]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I've had a problem with the space vanishing due to "lost" files, but I got it back by uploading some small files (text files etc) to unattached items, then after the sync deleting them, and resyncing again..
It seems that the empeg will reuse the space taken by a "lost" file when the fid numbers catch up..

As to the pause with rebuilding music database, I've had that a few times (I'm also too quick to pull the plug if the sync is taking hours). If you can't get a sync to fix it then you can do the following...
Drop to a shell (with the developer image) and type "rwm" then "exit".
This opens the discs in read write mode, and then "exit" causes the player software to restart. It will rebuild the database and is then able to write it to disc as the static database. I then drop to the shell and exit, which will remount the discs read only. The next boot will be able to read the static database, which stops the pause caused by it rebuilding every time.

Hope that helps someone... =)

(Note, I didn't report the "lost" files as a bug, as I assumed it was caused by me pulling the plug.. Sorry =)

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)