Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#2855 - 10/05/2000 20:29 Question about managing MP3s
Jambo
stranger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama USA
I've got a whole boatload of MP3s that I've not been naming consistently. I'm about to go through and work with them to get them named correctly, etc. However, since I'm sure that the Mk 2 goes off of the ID text in the MP3, I was wondering if anyone has a good tool that they use to manage this kind of stuff so that I could have things all "neat and tidy" when the Mk2 was available. I really don't want to have to open each one and correct the artist and song names one by one.

Anyone have a good suggestion for cleaning up MP3 ID text, etc.?

Thanks,
Jamie

Something like #14000 (give or take a few)

#2856 - 10/05/2000 21:35 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: Jambo]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...Get mp3 tag studio.. I've found it to be by far the best tool for doing mp3 organizations..

Best of all, it's a non-crippled shareware that will not expire, and the author only wants 8$ to support him...
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2857 - 10/05/2000 22:57 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: dionysus]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Anybody have any recommendations for a good ID3 editor for linux?

-Mike

#2858 - 11/05/2000 00:05 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: Jambo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Good idea. As was already suggested, MP3 tag studio is good.

While you're at it, there's one trick I've found that helps me on the Empeg that you might want to consider. When you have more than one version of the same song, add something to the name field to indicate which version it is. That way it's easier to make your selections when scrolling through the empeg's menus.

For example:

Personal Jesus
Personal Jesus (Acoustic)

Tom Sawyer
Tom Sawyer (Remaster)
Tom Sawyer (Live ESL)
Tom Sawyer (Live DS)

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#2859 - 11/05/2000 01:11 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: dionysus]
jbauer
veteran

This is a great program! Thanks for the tip!

One thing that I haven't found a quick way to do is this:

Let's say I have a bunch of MP3's from a CD with the incorrect (or unentered) year and/or type. How can I modify the group in one sweep? With MP3/Tag Studio, you need to do it one by one which takes a long time.

I am using Jaz 2 gig disks to store hundreds of MP3 albums in preparation for my Mark 2. It will take forever to try and update each file individually...

- Thanx in advance for any help!
- Jon

#2860 - 11/05/2000 01:27 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: jbauer]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
How can I modify the group in one sweep?

I don't know 'MP3/Tag Studio'; will give it a try. Until now I use Tag & Rename. It is a bit peculiar in its UI but has two features I really like (and that Empeg or anyone else considering to build a tag editor should look at):

- it does batch updates of tags: modifies the tags you want modified for all selected tracks in a given directory
- when editing individual tags, it has a single button that commits the edits for the current MP3 and skips to the next with a single button press. Very efficient.

Henno
# 00120

#2861 - 11/05/2000 03:27 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: dionysus]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
Get mp3 tag studio..

Thanks for reminding me. I've been using it for ages, but haven't registered. Done so now.

Despite several gaping holes in the UI, this is a reasonably simple program to use. My one main gripe is that it doesn't know anything about track numbers, so file renames have to make judicious use of the 'comments' field in the ID3 tag.

Nick.

#2862 - 11/05/2000 08:55 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: jbauer]
dionysus
veteran

Let's say I have a bunch of MP3's from a CD with the incorrect (or unentered) year and/or type. How can I modify the group in one sweep? With MP3/Tag Studio, you need to do it one by one which takes a long time.

Sure - that's easy... just stick evry file in question in a directory by themselves (move them for speed), then use the "mass set tags/flags" option..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#2863 - 11/05/2000 15:20 Re: Question about managing MP3s [Re: mcomb]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
In Linux, I use mp3info, http://metalab.unc.edu/mp3info/ (whoa, a new version is out - gonna have to grab it). It is command line driven and accepts wildcards. Makes it really easy to set the tags for all the songs from a CD then go back and do the track names one at a time.