Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56706 - 08/01/2002 20:25 Are replacement knobs availible?
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
I think I need to replace the knob on my empeg. The problem I'm having isn't the old "Loose Knob" problem, it's a completely different problem. (Although my unit does still have the old style knob, and I did run into the loose knob problem, and subsequently fixed it.)

The problem I'm having, is that when rotating the knob, one "Click" often results in 2 or sometimes even 3 position changes in the UI. I'm currently using 2.0b7, with Hijack v99. Been having the problem for the last few months or so, and it's getting worse. 2.0b7 has the "Rotary wear and tear patch" built in, right? Not sure what that's supposed to do anyway, or if it would fix my problem.

So, I guess my real question is, are there any replacement knobs available? Not just the plastic piece, but the whole electronics?

#56707 - 08/01/2002 20:33 Re: Are replacement knobs availible? [Re: Diznario]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The problem I'm having, is that when rotating the knob, one "Click" often results in 2 or sometimes even 3 position changes in the UI.

I am having this problem, too. I think it is a software thing, though, not hardware. I can sometimes change my volume by one or maybe two clicks, and go from 0db to -8.5db. This behavior only surfaced after 2.0b7 for me. So far it doesn't bother me enough to want to do anything drastic about it.

tanstaafl.

#56708 - 08/01/2002 21:12 Re: Are replacement knobs availible? [Re: Diznario]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I mentioned kind of a similar problem over here in the Programming forum. Wfaulk said he had a knob problem too, and he sent his Empeg across the pond and they replaced it.

The odd thing is the knob on my year-old Mk2 doesn't have this problem, but the knob on the brand new Mk2a has had it since I got it. The knob on my Mk2 is almost flawless in sending exactly one IR code per "click," with my Mk2a, it's a lot of guesswork.

But it hasn't been so bad that it's been worth sending it to England... yet...

#56709 - 09/01/2002 12:07 Re: Are replacement knobs availible? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Diznario
enthusiast

Loc: Portland OR
I am having this problem, too. I think it is a software thing, though, not hardware.

Well, that would be cool, as long as it gets fixed eventually...

I guess I really didn't think about that posibility. I just kinda asumed it was hardware related.

Hmmm... Mark's "Button Codes Display" in Hijack might be of some assistance for determining whether or not this is actually hardware or software related... I'll have to play around with that...