Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#57296 - 09/01/2002 22:48 Is the 60 Gig too much space?
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I'm going to quickly assume that a good VBR rip of a CD is 100 MB (probably too high a guess). My forthcoming (it has shipped!) 60 Gig unit should hold at least 600 CD's. (Forgive me if you don't completely agree with the math, the idea is that this is a lot of "albums" worth of music.

Doesn't it all get lost? I mean, when I drag CD's into the car right now, I know what's there, and I listen to them. A week later I sit in front of the pile and grab a few more to listen to. But it seems that when you have 600 available at the touch of a button it would get a bit overwhelming. "What do I want to hear" - " Hmm let's sit here and rotate the knob through 600 titles".

It seems like filling 60 Gigs would be extremely convenient, but would also become a mission to fill up (I'm a little obsessive-compulsive to begin with). And once filled, it seems like albums would sort of disappear into never-never land. Is there any reality to this? Obviously I could just put a few albums on it at a time and swap them off the drives every week, but let's face it that's silly.

So, how do you keep it fresh? Random play perhaps, and then when something grabs you you play the whole album through? What other ways do you use?

#57297 - 10/01/2002 01:38 Re: Is the 60 Gig too much space? [Re: tracerbullet]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
He's "got the bug", big time

The answer is: No, 60G is way too small. As for the rest of the questions, well, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes.

Only not necessarily in that order.

Have fun!
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#57298 - 10/01/2002 02:15 Re: Is the 60 Gig too much space? [Re: tracerbullet]
ajayrockrock
journeyman

Loc: Riverside, CA
There is no such thing as "enough". When I was working I used to have about 50 GBs of MP3's and I ran a shoutcast station with the music. Now all I would listen to is the shoutcast station at work and I got my playlist down so that I could go a whole week without listening to the same track twice.

I haven't installed my Empeg in the car yet but I imagine that listening to music will be like listening to my own radio station. It's just like everyone else says, "You will never listen to music the same again".

later,
ajay

#57299 - 10/01/2002 11:47 Re: Is the 60 Gig too much space? [Re: tracerbullet]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
After you've messed with the player, you'll wonder how you got by listening to only one CD at a time.

For starters, here are some things to read to give you an idea what it's like to use it:

How is the music organized on the player? Is it easy to find a given tune?

What is the best way to organize and listen to my music?

How the empeg changes the way you listen to music.

#57300 - 10/01/2002 20:49 Re: Is the 60 Gig too much space? [Re: tracerbullet]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks again. I have printed the FAQ and read it twice already. Obviously I'm a little excited to receive this thing. (Fedex is in process on it!).

I'll stop asking questions before I get a reputation of "Oh, that guy". On my car's UBB I have been awarded the title of "knowledge demigod" (toot toot my horn goes). I'll quit acting like a new guy here though.