Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#67905 - 06/02/2002 16:44 Installing jemplode for Linux
oakley
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Howdy.. I cannot get jemplode to install in linux. First of all, Java has the worst documentation ever.. first I installed the JDK, then later tried the JRE just in case the JDK did not come with a virtual machine..

Finally got both installed fine, jemplode complains about wanting a JVM in my path.. which is odd, since most programs want your JAVA_HOME environment variable to be set. Oh well, I added the proper directory to my JAVA_HOME and my PATH..

jemplode2.bin still says:
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
running this program.

I realize this is a work in progress, but it seems to lack even the slightest bit of documentation for the most basic of installs. It doesn't help that Sun's Java stuff has terrible documentation as well (I've installed it countless times on several unix platforms and it's always a hassle)..

thanks!

- reid

#67906 - 07/02/2002 03:44 Re: Installing jemplode for Linux [Re: oakley]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
I thought JEmplode came with instructions for manual installation? ISTR having trouble with the installer, but I can't remember how much hacking around I had to do (upgrades are easier - just swap in the new Jar file).

#67907 - 07/02/2002 19:33 Re: Installing jemplode for Linux [Re: oakley]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
then later tried the JRE just in case the JDK did not come with a virtual machine..

hehe

Make sure you are putting the java command, not the path to the JDK, into your $PATH,

eg:
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-SR10
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/IBMJava2-SR10/bin/java

Yeah i couldn't find much documentation for JEmplode either, but the JDK should have pleanty of docs.

#67908 - 07/02/2002 21:16 Re: Installing jemplode for Linux [Re: danthep]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
Well i got that wrong didn't i!

Make sure you place the directory containing the java binaries, not the root of the JDK installation, on the path.

E.G.
export PATH=/opt/jdk1.3.1/bin:$PATH

not export PATH=/opt/jdk1.3.1:$PATH
and not export PATH=/opt/jdk1.3.1/bin/java:$PATH