Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248188 - 31/01/2005 17:19 Input to factory stereo - FM sucks...
jbrinkerhoff

Over the past few months, Ive noticed that the sound from my empeg just didnt seem up to snuff. It's been piped in through an FM modulator for about 2+ years now. I really noticed the difference when I left the empeg out one day, and my son wanted to play his new Usher CD (which is a burned CD of the mp3's on the empeg). Wow, the dynamic range and fidelity was almost as amazing as the first time I heard a CD. Now, Im not a big usher fan, but it blew my mind how bad the empeg sounded.

So, I checked it out, it sounded fine (identical to CD) on my home system. I figured it must be the FM mod. So, I picked up a $9 casette adapter at K-mart, and hacked some RCAs onto it. Hooked it up yesterday (luckily I left the sled's RCAs where I can get to them) and WOW, soooo much better. No need to even futz with the eq in the empeg. (back to flat).

I don't even know why Im posting this, as it really is no suprize, but I am just excited that my music sounds this good, and I wonder if it ever did through that FM mod, or if it just got a LOT worse over time...

Either way, since this is the first time Ive ever even stuck something in the tape slot, I think I'll just permanently wire it in. I can switch the tape back to FM or CD with a button without even ejecting the adapter....

Jeff

#248189 - 31/01/2005 17:46 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or just replace it with another car stereo that has an Aux Input. Many do nowadays. It'll sound even better than a casette adapter.

#248190 - 31/01/2005 17:56 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
The sad part is that most auto FM radios sound much better than the average home receiver's FM.

#248191 - 31/01/2005 18:23 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: tfabris]
jbrinkerhoff

Yeah, Ive thought of this many, many times. I'm just not willing to ditch my steering wheel controls, and the factory system in this car isn't all that bad ("Infinity Gold"... yes, I know its still junk).

Plus, since I hacked my dash to remote-mount my climate conrtols and make a perfect DIN slot for the empeg, it looks factory with the stock 1.5DIN stereo above (in matching VFD I might add).

I've thought about making the Empeg the only stereo too, but it won't boot below about 20F, and around here that is a problem. I need my radio in the AM (NPR). Funny, though, the original 10GB drive would boot down to -10F or even lower.

Upon looking up the specs for FM transmission, it appears that under IDEAL situations its roughly 40-15Khz, and not all that flat either, nor all that much channel seperation. Which explains a lot. A tape is pretty close to 20-20Khz when you are using a tape adaptor rather than magnetic tape, and a lot more linear. (heck, even good type IV metal tape is better than FM apparently)

Edited by jbrinkerhoff (31/01/2005 18:31)

#248192 - 31/01/2005 19:22 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Investigate to see if there is an adapter available that will add an aux-input onto that factory radio system.

Usually, such adapters work by tricking the factory system into thinking it has a factory CD-changer attached, and then hijacking those audio lines to be used for your aux-in.

There is a FAQ entry that's got a paragraph covering that topic (and links to people who sell such adapters) here.

#248193 - 01/02/2005 09:46 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
For the last 16 years I've used a Sparkmatic modulator, which came out a generation ago to let you input your portable CD player(Mounted on a flexible arm), as far as I know the Company is defunct. The sound quality is near perfect.

Recently, I purchased a Nikkai modulator for my other car, it's squelchy and lacking in tone.

My point being that it is possible to have one that works effectively. However, overall an input/adaptor to the HU is a better solution.

#248194 - 01/02/2005 12:06 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: boxer]
jbrinkerhoff

Sparkomatic... heheheh... I remember that stuff. They used to sell it in all the auto parts stores, K-mart, etc. I agree though, sometimes the old stuff is built WAY better than the new. The FM mod I have now was made in china, and did not look to be all that great quality - although it was $60 and did seem to work fine when I installed it. It's only in the past 6 months that it seems to be "overdriven".

I investigated the input adapters too, but my stereo doesnt have a cd-changer input. The only chrysler/jeep ones that do are tape-only, and I'd like to retain the cd player for those (rare) occasions when someone else needs to play a cd.

I have to say as well, that I listened to the empeg for about 2 hours yesterday and it was just like that week back in 1989 when I got my first CD player and borrowed/begged CDs from anyone just to hear "van halen" or "pink floyd" on CD. It sounded SO much better, clearer, and that's how my empeg now sounds. I actually love my music all over again....

-Jeff

#248195 - 02/02/2005 04:38 Re: Input to factory stereo - FM sucks... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I'd like to retain the cd player for those (rare) occasions when someone else needs to play a cd.

I find that, for those rare times when someone else needs to play a CD, they'll also have a portable CD player with them, so I just installed a cable to the Empeg's aux-in. Now they can have an iPod/Karma/Minidisc/CD player/whatever.