Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1174 - 11/01/2000 09:15 Power Thump
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

Any ideas how to eliminate a heafty thump when I turn the ignition off. If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble is, I often forget... It's a pity the power fail detection couldn't normalise the 4V outputs before the amp dies.

----------------------------------
John
[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#1175 - 11/01/2000 10:11 Re: Power Thump [Re: Big John]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble is, I often forget...

Do you think this might be related to your other post about blowing display fuses?

Just kidding. The unit is supposed to be a car stereo replacement, and car stereos will tolerate that behavior, so the Empeg should, too.

Personally, my VW doesn't even have an ignition wire running to the radio- it's an always-on thing. And I never have thumps. You might want to try wiring it that way as an experiment to see if it works for you.

Having had cars with both always-on and ignition-only radios, I can honestly say I prefer the always-on method.

#1176 - 11/01/2000 11:11 Re: Power Thump [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...This has been discussed in detail under the installation forum.. Place a search for "resistor" on this BBS and you should find your solution..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#1177 - 11/01/2000 11:58 Re: Power Thump [Re: dionysus]
Big John

I'll try adding the resistors.

Cheers,

John
[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#1178 - 11/01/2000 12:02 Re: Power Thump [Re: tfabris]
Big John

>>If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble >>is, I often forget...

>Do you think this might be related to your other post about blowing display >fuses?

I don't think so :-)

I'll leave the power switched at the moment as I don't want to make the wife keep dragging the unit out'a the car every five minutes...

John