Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19263 - 02/10/2000 14:03 Poor FAQ answer
dglinder
new poster

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
The answer to the FAQ "Where can I get an extra power suply for my Empeg" is nice in that it is detailed and explains that they shouldn't be hard to find, but it actually does not answer the simple question posed by the original poster: "Where can I get one?" Yes, yes, it's very nice to know that they aren't unique, that you could use lots of others, etc. But the question asked *where* (specifically, where *online*)? Obviously most people aren't going to want to pay the very steep price of USD $38 (plus shipping) for an extra from Empeg. I actually want *two* extras - one for home, and one to carry in the carrying case for those Emergency Party Situations.

So, again - does anyone know *where*, *online*, one can get good-quality AC power supplies for the Empeg?

Thanks...

#19264 - 02/10/2000 14:45 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: dglinder]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
This one meets all the specs for $6.50. All electronics is reputable, I order from them all the time.

Alex Lear

#19265 - 02/10/2000 14:49 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: dglinder]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I see your point. Here's my (not necessarily valid) philosophy:

This is walking a fine line. I believe we should avoid posting exact links to other power supplies because we don't want to steal business away from Empeg. The whole idea is: If you've already got one you can scrounge, great, more power to ya, here's the specs. But if you're going to be actually placing an order for one (i.e, you don't want to do any scrounging work for yourself and you want it handed to you on a silver platter), then here's the official item that's warrantied by Empeg which is certain to work perfectly and won't be questionable in any way.

Sure, we could link to Radio Shack's site with a part number or something. But that'd be blatantly taking away from Empeg's business.

There's other tips on this BBS which also could be construed as taking away from Empeg's business. Hard disk upgrades, for example. But we still post that information because we know folks are gonna try it anyhow and we might as well tell 'em the right way to do it. So it is with the power supplies. I scrounged three completely different power supplies and saved some money in the process. Yes, I'm a cheapskate. But being a cheapskate should require a little work on my part, right?

#19266 - 02/10/2000 14:51 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: dglinder]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
Ehm, anywhere that sells a 12V DC 1 Amp or up regulated powersupply ? There is nothing special to it. Of course ... the problem I have with that is quality. I don't know about other people here but I don't trust a lot of the 'universal powersupplies' that are commonly sold. You know the type, often switchable between common voltages (3, 6, 9 and 12 volt) and different plugs attached to them for the most common connectors. Experience has taught me that the 3 volts is often a little more and the 12 volts is often a little less if you catch my drift. So the question you have to ask yourself is : wouldn't I feel a lot better just buying the 'official' powersupply for my valuable empeg player ?

But you asked for a site ...www.partsexpress.com category power/electrical ... Everything the diy electronic nut needs ... Well within limits

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19267 - 02/10/2000 15:17 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: alear]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Just ordered two from AllElectronics.com. Will advise if there's anytihng funky when i recieve them. Thanks for the tip Alex...exactly what i was looking for at exactly the right price. =]

|| loren.cox

#19268 - 02/10/2000 20:33 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: loren]
Bagpuss

Loc: UK
If you live in the UK, it should be easy to source an identical power supply to the original, as the suppliers name and telephone number are actually printed on the label........

The real question is whether they would be prepared to sell you just one unit.........

#19269 - 02/10/2000 22:54 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: dglinder]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
Obviously most people aren't going to want to pay the very steep price of USD $38 (plus shipping) for an extra from Empeg.

You must be joking. If you're willing to pay $1500 for an MP3 player but not $38 on its power supply, then I must question your fiscal decision-making process!

Michael Grant
12GB Green

#19270 - 02/10/2000 23:46 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: mcgrant]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
If you're willing to pay $1500 for an MP3 player but not $38 on its power supply...

Actaully, $1500 for the empeg is money well spent. $38 for the power supply and shipping to the US is a waste. Empeg may sell that power supply but there is nothing magic about it.

I did however forget to mention that those power supplies listed above don't have the ferrite for the end. It will probably work fine without it but if you feel the need to get it they are $2.00 here.

Sorry I forgot to mention it before you ordered Loren!

Alex Lear

#19271 - 03/10/2000 00:10 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: alear]
mcgrant
journeyman

Loc: Menlo Park, CA USA
Actaully, $1500 for the empeg is money well spent. $38 for the power supply and shipping to the US is a waste. Empeg may sell that power supply but there is nothing magic about it.

You may have a point about the power supply itself. And indeed I do appreciate your research to find a cheaper alternative. But I paid $1500 for an empeg not because it was a good value, but because it was a kick-ass piece of bleeding-edge technology, and I suspect most others have done the same... that's where I was coming from when I was making my point.

(I deleted most of the rest of my rambling because I decided I was being argumentative just for the sake of it. :-)

Anyway, I do have a serious question: What is the purpose of this ferrite bead that you mentioned? I know what it is, I just don't know what it does.

Michael Grant
12GB Green

Edited by mcgrant on 3/10/00 09:08 AM.

#19272 - 03/10/2000 07:55 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: mcgrant]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I would point out that the empeg power supply is a good quality switched-mode model. I know the new version looks like a $5 unit from Radio Shack, but you'll have to trust me that it isn't.

That said I'm sure you can get them cheaper locally, just take care to get something good quality.

The ferrites supress EMC emission, and are required for us to sell the product legally within FCC and CE regulations. They don't affect the functionality at all.

Rob

#19273 - 03/10/2000 12:36 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: rob]
loren
carpal tunnel

Ermm...the power supply that came with my empeg didn't have a ferrite on it... was it supposed to or is that something that was recently added? I'll go without on the new plugs unless there is some serious reason to have them...which according to Rob's post, there shouldn't be, unless the FCC does a surprise raid on my office to check emissions =].

|| loren.cox

#19274 - 03/10/2000 14:07 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: loren]
EngelenH
enthusiast

Loc: Belgium/Holland
EMC Emission ? You are joking ...

I think the world is going insane ... Good thing I have a headstart on them

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

#19275 - 04/10/2000 01:01 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: loren]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Just ordered two from AllElectronics.com. Will advise if there's anytihng funky when i recieve them. Thanks for the tip Alex...exactly what i was looking for at exactly the right
price. =]

Uhhh, yeah, what he said!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#19276 - 06/10/2000 18:45 Re: Poor FAQ answer [Re: tanstaafl.]
loren
carpal tunnel

Just a followup. I recieved the plugs in the mail today and they work just dandy. They are wider and a tad thinner than the Empeg supplied plug, so they fit in the carrying case a tad better. They're made by Qualcomm and seem to be of pretty good quality. So if you're a cheap bastard like me, this is the way to go.

|| loren.cox