Okay, so now that I'm sure that it's not my force-single-drive thing that's causing problems, it seems that, despite my thoughts to the contrary, I don't understand how database rebuilds work.

Oliver sent me a drive temporarily to test RAID stuff. I thought that I'd go ahead and plug it up and make sure it worked and see what he had on it, just for kicks. Well, I hooked it up and telnetted into the empeg. The drive had mounted, but none of his music showed up in emplode. So I said, ``Oh, yeah. I have to force it to rebuild databases and whatnot.''

So I deleted the database, tags, and playlists files on both drives. Then, when it rebooted, it spent quite a while on the rebuilding databases part, so I assumed that it was working like I thought.

But the only differences emplode showed were that a couple of my original playlists had been duplicated and there were about 70 unreferenced tracks. So I tried rebuilding the databases multiple times, all to no avail.

What am I missing? (Not that it really makes that much difference. I'm going to wipe the drive anyway. I'm just curious now.)