Thought I would share a little info, since the posts I found were out of date.

1) Jemplode does not work with a 'real' Mac (ie running Mac OS 7,8,9). Apparently it requires a new version of Java that is not available.

2) Virtual PC works well.

I hooked the RioCar up to an old (PR200) PC my neighbor gave me to start with, but gave up on the POS. I have not tried running the software updates over the serial cable with the Mac yet or tried to use the limited USB support in VPC 2.x, I have my Empeg hooked up to my home ethernet network.

I fire up SoundJam MP and let it rip and burn the tracks for an album and have it do the CDDB lookup. It does a great job on my G3/350 getting about 8x rip and 2.5x-3x for encode. I set SJ for Best VBR with a 128k floor and the files end up averaging 150-170Kb/s.

Then I have to enter the year by hand (select all, get info, enter year, click OK) - don't know why but SJ is not good at remembering the year data.

Then convert the ID data. (Select all, convert ID tags, select a version [I have been using the latest, 2.4 I think], OK).

Then I make sure the TCP/IP control panel is set for my local network. IP-10.1.1.2, 255.255.255.0 netmask. Close control panel (ctrl-K lets you change config quick & easily in TCP/IP control panel) before starting VPC.

Then I fire up VPC (Virtual PC). I am using 2.1.3. It has the network options setup to match the Mac (10.1.1.2, etc).

For some reason Empeg causes an error when loading songs from the directory on the mac loaded via the Folder sharing thing in VPC, so I copy the songs from the regular place on the mac to a temp folder in the C: drive. This goes pretty quick. Then I can fire up EMPEG, create the playlist for the album, and add all the songs. Sync it. Quit VPC.

[Has anybody got Epeg under VPC to read the files directly from the shared folder. Will loading Win 98 on VPC fix this?]