I just recently found out about empegs, and I'm under the impression there are no real comparable in-dash products. Correct?

Well, I don't really like the idea of having to spend a lot of money on a discontinued product, as awesome as they sound. And I've also been wanting to buy a portable MP3 player (leaning toward Creative, 40GB I believe) for a while now. So... I thought of the following idea. I *think* there are in-dash car stereos out there that have component inputs. What if I got one of those stereos and a portable MP3 player, and just kept the player in my car, and had it output its audio to the stereo? Sort of like the old days when we carried around portable CD players to hook into our car cassette decks.

Anyone done anything like this or know of it being done? Before I go pioneering I'd like to draw on the experience of others (even though it doesn't sound too complicated, I wonder if I'm overlooking anything or making any wrong assumptions... like the existence of these stereos with component inputs, perhaps).