A few days ago I posted a note explaining how the battery and ignition wires came out of the docking sled as I was installing it. Since this happened when I had the sled installed, I didn't know until I docked the Empeg and it wouldn't turn on. It turned out that the loose wire had shorted or done something nasty and my Empeg was completely dead. It has been sent back for repair.

Fast forward to today as I attempted to reinstall my head unit. The head unit was also connected the other day when the Empeg docking sled wires came loose. It didn't occur to me at the time that it might have been damaged also. Well, it turns out that it's dead too!

The head unit cost $300 about 9 months ago. It's a unique head unit in that it's the only one I know of that has lighting to match that of recent vintage VW dashboards. I also don't think it's available anymore (at least not from Crutchfield).

I've got mixed feelings about how responsible I hold Empeg. In the strict sense, they are not responsible for what happens to my vehicle during installation. But the reality is that this wouldn't have happened if the docking sled had it's wires properly crimped/soldered. I'm not the first user to report this problem.

I don't know what to do.

-Dylan