So I'm building myself a new home computer. Been using a laptop for years and it's time to make myself a present.

Here's what I've been working on for a config:

Abit VH6-II motherboard
Intel 1 Ghz processor (prolly retail, not OEM)
256k PC133 memory (prolly Crucial)
Maxtor 40 or 60 gig ATA100 HD (7200 rpm?)
Pioneer 106S DVD???
Tower, floppy, NIC, etc.

A few questions:

1) I need to buy a CD Rom drive. Since I have no real interest in writing CDs, and I do have interest in DVD on my PC, I am thinking of getting a DVD drive. My questions are as follows:
a) Will I have any problems ripping CDs (making MP3 files from audio CDs) with a DVD drive?
b) Does it really make a difference what speed drive I get when it comes to making MP3 files?
c) Any drive recommendations? Is the Pioneer 106S any good? Seems popular...

2) I'm thinking about the Maxtor 40 or 60 gig ATA100 7200 rpm drives. Is the 7200 rpm model the right one to get? Any real difference between that and the 5400 model? Any objections/recommendations here?

3) Anyone know anything about the Abit VH6-II? There's virtually no reviews anywhere on this puppy. I've found 1 or 2, but no individual feedback.

4) Any overclockers out there think I'm crazy to spend bucks on a 1 Ghz chip? Is a 1 Ghz chip running the momo at 133 faster than overclocking a 800 chip at 100 mhz momo overclocked? I'm not sure about all of this overclocking business. Scares me to tell you the truth...

- Thanx everyone!
- Jon