Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#116975 - 18/09/2002 21:49 Keyboard Stuff
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have a strange projext. I'm going to add lights to my keyboard. However, I need all the help I can get from you guys.

I like the keyboard I have at the moment very much. It's a black Dell QuietKey. I like the action on it more than almost any keyboard I've found. It's pretty quiet, just the right resistance and travel on the keys. However, the keys don't really come off. I've unscrewed the back and determined that they are pretty much attached to the top half of the board.

What I need is a new keyboard that:
-has removeable keys
-has a good feel to it (subjective, I know, but still...)
-have to be able to pass a wire through the walls seperating things like the funtion, arrow, num pad, and escape keys. Mine is completely seperated and that's a problem
-preferably a black keyboard. non-ergonimic would be better.

Lastly, I have to ask, what is better for keyboards, PS/2 or USB?

So I'd appreciate it if you could take a second to look at your keyboard, see if it fits these requirements, and tell me what you have! Thanks!

#116976 - 19/09/2002 07:53 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Most keyboards you can pop the keycaps off if you've got a small screwdriver

- Trevor

#116977 - 19/09/2002 23:45 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: tman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Just be careful doing that, though... depending on the design of the tabs holding the keycap to the button, you can break the tabs taking the keycap off so that you can't put the key back on. One of my keyboards has the 5 key from the number pad where the J key is as a result of this. (I was switching the keycaps so I could learn the dvorak layout. The keyboard had sculpted keycaps, so it was all for naught. )

#116978 - 20/09/2002 09:58 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, the first key you try removing should be a useless one, like scroll lock. That way, if you break it, no big deal.

#116979 - 20/09/2002 11:59 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, guys, but I had actually found that my keyboard did have removeable keys, I just didn't try hard enough

I've successfully completed my very first mod. As I type this, my keyboard glows It is quite cool looking and extremely satisfying. I suprised myself. I didn't know I was that destructive. I should warn people, it takes time to do it, but probably less if I had actually known what I was doing. All together, the job took about 5-6 hours, a screwdriver, a power drill, and a dremel tool.

I'll post pics of the whole process when I have my keyboard shaved down enough

#116980 - 20/09/2002 13:46 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm sure CommOri is waiting anxiously for the pictures.

(He just got a clear-window case and is doing the neon and LED-fan mods. The computer equivalent of slamming your car and putting neon under it... )

#116981 - 20/09/2002 14:24 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

And this whole time I thought you were talking about a musical keyboard.

#116982 - 20/09/2002 22:58 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: ]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm a music major, and the second I find a musical keyboard with a "num pad, and escape keys", I'm there.

I'm sure CommOri is waiting anxiously for the pictures.
(He just got a clear-window case and is doing the neon and LED-fan mods. The computer equivalent of slamming your car and putting neon under it... )

Hehe, well in those pictures you'll also probably see pics of my PC it's self. It's in a Lian-Li PC75 case with a huge side window. I've got a neon in there I didn't bother with the LED fans, because the case already came with four. I also only really needed the one neon right at the bottom of the case. It lights up all the essentials, and just looks plain cool.

I'm still working the kinks out on the keyboard now. Here's te reason: when/if you put this stuff in your keyboard, it impeeds the key travel on almost every key. I thought of many solutions until I saw my roommate's dremel tool so I've been grinding down the problem keys and will probably continue to do so for quite some time. It smell like burning plastic in here...

#116983 - 21/09/2002 08:58 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, so it's one of those sheets of EL material? Cool. Does it need a separate power supply, or can you pull the power right from the keyboard wire?

#116984 - 21/09/2002 09:28 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
The only keyboards worth owning are the classic IBM M models or new ones based on the same design.

Once you try one you'll never be satisfied with crappy membrane keyboards again. I got lucky and found a store selling used ones for a buck each. I bought a stack and gave them out to friends who have all thanked me.

The NMB mechanical ones are pretty decent too.

-Dylan

#116985 - 21/09/2002 09:32 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dylan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I agree, those were great keyboards.

#116986 - 21/09/2002 10:33 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Actually, it's a line neon wire. A company called Streetglow makes all kinds of neons for cars, and now they've produced a converter for PC power supplies. I've got the one neon tube light in my case, and 15' neon wire winding its way though the keyboard.

I'll get pics up as soon as my stupid CF reader starts working.

And those look like cool keyboards. I didn't quite gleam from that site what was so great about them, though. I half agree with the guy about the extra keys. I happen to use the Windows buttons, but I have no idea why that stupid mouse button is there. How do I remap a certain key to do something? I would love to make that key do something like open an IE window.

#116987 - 21/09/2002 10:48 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You know how when you press a key on your keyboard and it's all mushy and there's no real way to tell when the key has been depressed enough to register? Well, these keyboards have an actual spring in the keys that buckles, so that there's resistance to a certain point and then it gives way with quite a click. It's as if the keyboard does more than simply lie there. Other than it being a little loud, it's a much more enjoyable experience to type on, at least for those of us that type a lot.

#116988 - 21/09/2002 10:53 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The old Northgate keyboards also offer that same "tactile feedback" experience. I've used both the IBM and the Northgate keyboards, and I prefer the IBM feel but I'm happy with the Northgate one, too.

At work, I'm using an old Northgate, but at home I've got a mushy non-clicky keyboard because the quietness is more important to me in the home setting.

#116989 - 21/09/2002 11:09 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dylan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I have to disagree. I think the only keyboard worth owning would be any from the Kinesis Contour Family of keyboards. Those keyboards absolutely rock (especially if you have carpal tunnel)! Only problem is, I kind of have a hard time adjusting back to a regular flat keyboard (my wrists/fingers hurt after about 8 hours).

I don't think I will ever buy anything else again, of course, most of my (non-touch-typing) friends absolutely HATE my keyboard

#116990 - 21/09/2002 12:43 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Tim]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Fair enough. The IBM keyboards are the best traditional keyboards available. Or were, when they actually were available.

#116991 - 22/09/2002 09:32 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I think the only keyboard worth owning would be any from the Kinesis Contour Family of keyboards

Damn! Those would be hard to put neons into

#116992 - 22/09/2002 20:26 Re: Keyboard Stuff [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, I finally got around to putting the pictures up. Gallery is the best thing ever:

http://www.dignan17.com/gallery/keyboard

the pics of the finished result aren't very good, but they give you the idea. It looks simply incredible.