Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#216099 - 12/05/2004 07:59 G4TechTV
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This topic has been discussed in 2 or 3 other threads, but I thought it would be good to start a dedicated one.

Turns out that TechTV isn't being completely scrapped. It looks like a large number of TechTV shows are being kept, and most of the important ones are included. They have a list up at the official site of the merger, G4TechTV.com.

Basically, I think they have their best shows on that list (The Screen Savers, Unscrewed, X-Play, and maybe Fresh Gear). The rest are good filler, and only a couple are ones I'd drop (Future Fighting Machines is pretty dull, and Robot Wars is terrible).

I'm a little more encouraged by this, as a fan of the network. I'm hoping that most of the people involved with these shows are allowed to stay, and also that the community feel you get from the current network is still there. If this is the case, and G4 actually adds some interesting shows to the lineup, I think the merger could be a very positive thing, and bring the network into the big leagues.

Oh, and I've never once before heard of the G4 network. Could someone fill me in on that one?

#216100 - 12/05/2004 10:59 Re: G4TechTV [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I didn't think the lineup on g4techtv.com was the new schedule. I thought that was just to fill a couple of weeks until the new channel launches on the 28th.

Matt

#216101 - 12/05/2004 11:17 Re: G4TechTV [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

The "schedule" on the home page is the temporary one. Click the link in that post on "link." That's the lineup. That's how I was led to understand it by the folks on the Screen Savers.

#216102 - 12/05/2004 15:32 Re: G4TechTV [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Ahh I didn't see that list.

So they are keeping robot wars and getting rid of call for help nice NOT !

I'm not a big call for help fan but it's way more entertaining than robot wars.

Matt

#216103 - 12/05/2004 15:48 Re: G4TechTV [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Wow, good point. I didn't notice that! I agree, and would add that Call for Help is an excellent show for educating newer computer users. Leo is a wonderful teacher for people who are scared of technology.

I can think of one scenario, though: say Comcast pretty much associates that show with Leo. I've seen talk that Comcast will be completely shutting down the San Fran studio and moving everyone (who will come) to LA. Leo is one of the few on-screen people on that network with a family, and he has a large farm that he loves, plus a weekly radio show that I think he enjoys more than his TV stuff. I'd be willing to say that TechTV is moving and Leo is staying put, thus they cancelled Call for Help.