Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248302 - 01/02/2005 21:24 Trouble finding a product
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Working at the help desk, we often have several computers we need to work on. Therefore, we have a Belkin four-port switch at every station. Each port has a VGA and two PS/2 connectors.

I'm looking for a USB to PS/2 adapter because we got new usb keyboards and mice in and we really like them. Would an adapter like this work? Is it possible to do all that converting and traveling? In some instances, the path of the keyboard and mouse would be going back to USB for our newer computers that don't have PS/2 ports.

Anyway, the annoying part of this product search is that every store I've looked at (and Google) incorrectly define a "USB to PS/2" adapter. They're all the kind we already have, which is two female PS/2 ports to a male USB A plug. IMO, that is called a "PS/2 to USB" adapter.

Any help? Is this possible? I know the simple solution would be to just buy a new switch, but then we'd need all new cables anyway, and that's more money. I don't think my company wants to spend more money than they have to, especially since this is more of a request out of preference for the newer equipment.

#248303 - 01/02/2005 21:39 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Would an adapter like this work? Is it possible to do all that converting and traveling? In some instances, the path of the keyboard and mouse would be going back to USB for our newer computers that don't have PS/2 ports.

I feed both USB keyboard/mouse into a 4-port IoGear PS/2 KVM with adapters and it works great. Much less aggrvation than the USB KVM I pitched out the window.

You want to go a step further, convert back. Not sure about chances of success, but for ~9USD you can conduct a controlled trial:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searc...ca02&child=

Their Web site/catalog is kinda funky, but I've had great luck with them. If I were going to keep the Powerbook, I would try this.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#248304 - 01/02/2005 21:41 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Very interesting question, and one I've had to deal with directly myself.

We've got a bunch of those USB-to-PS2 adapters lying around because of all the USB mice we've bought and we don't need those adapters. But it doesn't do me any good because...

Now, this may depend on the KVM switch, but mine will flatly NOT work with my USB mouse plugged into a USB-to-PS2 adapter. The only kind of mouse that works in my KVM switch is a genuine PS2 mouse.

So here's what I do.

I have my nice USB optical mouse plugged directly into my main work PC.

Then, I have an old PS2 mouse plugged into the KVM switch. I've got one monitor, one keyboard, but two mice.

Either mouse controls my main work PC (the USB plugged directly, the PS2 via the KVM switch). But only the PS2 mouse controls other PCs on the KVM switch. When I work on the "other" PC's, I move the old PS2 mouse onto my mouse pad and I can switch back and forth between computers seamlessly.

When I'm done working with the "other" PC's and I'm back to being on my main work machine, I move my "good" USB mouse back onto my mouse pad for its additional comfort and accuracy.

Your other option is to replace the KVM switch with a newer one that supports USB.

#248305 - 01/02/2005 22:13 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Now, this may depend on the KVM switch, but mine will flatly NOT work with my USB mouse plugged into a USB-to-PS2 adapter. The only kind of mouse that works in my KVM switch is a genuine PS2 mouse.

I think it absolutely *can* depend on KVM, but those little green /purple USB-PS2 appear to be, for reasons I just can not fathom, vendor specific. I have had 1 flavor not work, but when I found the Logitech/IBM/MSFT one that matched up, it did. I'm not smart enough to figure that out.

I think I have decided that I hate Belkin. No like.

Quote:
Your other option is to replace the KVM switch with a newer one that supports USB.

My experience with 3-4 USB KVMs has been very bad. Waaaaay slow detection/switch time. A PITA if busy. I'll have to look up the 4-port IOGear that came from NewEgg for $50 (with cables). Very well behaved, but I don't like the hot key combo.

#248306 - 01/02/2005 22:45 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
We've got a bunch of those USB-to-PS2 adapters lying around because of all the USB mice we've bought and we don't need those adapters

That's exactly what I tried. No luck.

At the moment I do have two mice and I also have a second keyboard. It's the second keyboard that would be really nice to get rid of, but I like the USB keyboard.

To complicate it even more, I'm currently on DVI for my main computer. So, switching to an older computer at my station involves switching to the input on the switch, switching to analog on my monitor, and using the other keyboard and mouse.

Wow, maybe I should have suggested new KVM switches

I'm suprised that it's so hard to find this. I mean, I know it's going backwards, but the fact that nearly every Logitech mouse comes with such a converter means it's possible, right?

#248307 - 01/02/2005 23:12 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
I know it's going backwards, but the fact that nearly every Logitech mouse comes with such a converter means it's possible, right?

Nope, 'cause every logitech mouse is designed to work with their adapter. The way I understand it is that the mouse has both built in, and the adapter just triggers the mouse to "speak" ps2. What you want is something that translates the USB connection to a ps2 connection, which looks like is going to involved some active electronics.

Matthew

#248308 - 02/02/2005 00:41 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: matthew_k]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I was wondering how it was so mouse-specific.

So basically, we're talking about a new switch here

The problem with that is that:
a) we the newest Dells we've been getting have no PS/2 ports. I applaud this move, but it makes it difficult for our IS department, because:
b) we deactivate the USB ports in the BIOS on all our machines (we don't want people bringing in thumb drives and other hardware. It makes our jobs simpler and this is the easiest way to do it)

So, given these two things, it looks like there are only two choices: have the old and new K/M, or just have the old ones Oh well.

#248309 - 02/02/2005 00:53 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Anyway, the annoying part of this product search is that every store I've looked at (and Google) incorrectly define a "USB to PS/2" adapter. They're all the kind we already have, which is two female PS/2 ports to a male USB A plug. IMO, that is called a "PS/2 to USB" adapter.

Ach. Dope slap time! I got it ass-backwards. The link I posted was precisely what you already have. I thought the missing part was PS/2 KVM to USB-only host.

Anyhow, all other comments apply, more or less. Most of the new USB keyboards come with the vendor-specific adapters. I've taken to a little electrical tape to keep them with the keyboards they came with.

Underneath it all, I *do* wanna know why you need 4 computers. Don't you need VMWare??

#248310 - 02/02/2005 00:55 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I applaud this move.

I mourn the passing of PS/2 and DB-9!

#248311 - 02/02/2005 01:53 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I applaud this move.

I mourn the passing of PS/2 and DB-9!

I just love having all that extra space on the I/O panel. I'm suprised Shuttle still puts PS/2 ports on their mobos. It doesn't make much sense to me.

#248312 - 05/04/2005 16:44 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, so it's been three months since I asked about this, and I'm still using two keyboards and two mice. The fact is, all three of us enjoy our new keyboards and mice, and use them mainly despite the fact that we are set up so that we can use only the older PS/2 set if we wanted to.

My new question is this: is it possible, if I want to take on the project, to rewire a PS/2 connector onto the end of the keyboard's USB cable? Is it possible with the mouse?

These are two shots in the dark, because I'm desperate. I hate all the wires all over my desk, and the space taken up by two keyboards. If only Dell sold this newer model keyboard in PS/2 form (it's really nice).

#248313 - 05/04/2005 17:42 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

No. You can't just put a PS2 plug on the end of a USB only keyboard. The exception is if the keyboard is one of the types that supports PS/2 and USB. The little dongle then signals the controller chip inside the keyboard it should communicate via PS/2.

#248314 - 05/04/2005 18:28 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, it's possible to create a elgnod that would function as a USB host and then translate to PS/2 signals. Maybe. But it'd probably have to be powered (I doubt the PS/2 port could send enough electricity to run something like that) and I doubt there's one off the shelf.

#248315 - 05/04/2005 21:06 Re: Trouble finding a product [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

Ah. If you're willing to actually put something into the adapter then yeah. You just need a microcontroller which can handle USB slave devices. There are plenty around. It'd be fine being powered off a PS/2 port so long as the keyboard doesn't draw an excessive amount.