Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#347330 - 09/09/2011 14:59 gmail help - forwarding and filtering
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If there were ever a more frustrating experience in email, I haven't experienced it outside of Google. Google just has a flair for creating the world's worst interfaces. Ok, now that the venting is done.

Using Google Apps account with "gmail" meaning google mail services with my own domain name.

I was trying to forward multiple messages from one gmail account to another account (as it happens also on gmail also using the same domain). Google doesn't support this. There is no possibility to forward multiple messages selected from any message list.

So I figured I would use a filter since I was going to set one up anyway for the future. I set up a filter which tests properly and applies properly to find the messages I want. I set it up to forward and delete.

After applying the filter, with the option to apply to the already listed messages, the messages in question are all moved to the trash as expected. But when I go check out the other email address I don't see the messages there. They haven't been forwarded.

The is a problem right now, but also for the future - I have no idea if the forwarding mechanism will work on newly received messages.

Any experience with this?

#347332 - 09/09/2011 20:30 Re: gmail help - forwarding and filtering [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Any experience with this?

Not here -- the one time I tried to set up a filter that did forwarding, it required me to own the forwarding email account, and I don't.

Anywho... I'd suggest changing the filter from "forward and delete" to "forward and archive" and monitor both boxes until you can confirm it's working, at which point you can switch back to "forward and delete."

#347349 - 12/09/2011 11:28 Re: gmail help - forwarding and filtering [Re: canuckInOR]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I set up a filter to forward everything from my old google mail account to my new google apps mail. First had it set up to forward everything new and archive - works perfectly, so changed it from archive to delete.

Then set it up to copy everything already there to the new account - couldn't manage it with a filter so just selected everything and forwarded. Then deleted everything once I had checked it worked.

Very odd, but the workaround wasn't too onerous.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock