Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#92864 - 10/05/2002 06:22 South Africa - Tourism
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
I have read South Africa is stable in the post-Apartheid environment. Has anyone been there in the last 12 months or so? Interested in going to the Northern Province (offset to Kruger Park). I understand travel is down considerably in South Africa but have also heard that with a guide it is ~ safe.

#92865 - 10/05/2002 07:31 Re: South Africa - Tourism [Re: blitz]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i went to durban a couple of years back it felt like a war zone, it is not what i would call totally safe.

It is dodgey but so are some parts of the states

but nigeria still wins the won't get of the ship unless it sinks award

#92866 - 11/05/2002 04:47 Re: South Africa - Tourism [Re: thinfourth2]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I've heard more recent reports that Durban is still a place you need to watch yourself, a friend had their (rental) car carjacked at gunpoint in a bad area and had to walk back to the rental place - through the aforementioned bad area.

The rental place were a bit funny about him loosing the car. They didn't seem to accept that if someone pointed a gun at him that he'd just give them whatever they wanted...

Jo'burg is allegedly much better though.

Hugo

#92867 - 11/05/2002 17:21 Re: South Africa - Tourism [Re: altman]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
According to a former colleague of mine who was born & lived in SA (not sure where mind you) until his late teens....

"When dealing with Carjackers [holding guns], it makes absolutely no difference to them whether they have to shoot you or not to get your car." (sic).