Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168023 - 27/06/2003 11:44 How's dem Dems?
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
As a follow up to those prior threads about who the Dems have that might be able to beat Bush...

MoveOn.org held an on-line primary that attracted 300,000 voters. The results? Looks like Dean is the front-runner...

BRAUN 7021 2.21%
DEAN 139360 43.87%
EDWARDS 10146 3.19%
GRAHAM 7113 2.24%
KERRY 49973 15.73%
KUCINICH 76000 23.93%
GEPHARDT 7755 2.44%
LIEBERMAN 6095 1.92%
SHARPTON 1677 0.53%
OTHER 6121 1.93%
UNDECIDED 6378 2.01%
317647 100.00%

Complete results, along with some analysis...

(jeez, I wish this BBS had decent fixed width option that didn't double space everything...)

#168024 - 27/06/2003 11:49 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I haven't read the article yet, but I can't believe that their sample represents the Democratic populace. The fact that Kucinich comes in second reflects that.

#168025 - 27/06/2003 14:39 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I can't believe that their sample represents the Democratic populace

Agreed. Plus, the true population of interest for Dem pollsters would be the entire population that is inclined to vote and who might conceivably be convinced to not vote for Bush.

The fact that this insta-poll (more or less) has a number of ballots "biggger than the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries combined" doesn't mean much. Not very populous, those places...

I looked at MoveOn.org's background and I find a lot to agree with. So maybe I can conclude that the "election" results are the "preferences of 300,000 people who think like Jim".

I guess I won't begrudge MoveOn this "election" as a plot device. If it helps Kucinich and Dean supports weigh relative strengths, that's fine. I still suspect that somebody like Kerry would be nominated by a convention if held today, though.

I heard Kerry on To The Point the other day and I have to say that, while a Kerry candidacy would not necessarily be the end of the world (he does have some strong points), I still see him as a "too smooth" politician -- wanting to have it both ways on things like Iraq. Being the smoothie also, I think, sets him up to get slapped around with the "professional politician" label by the Republicans (none of whom are politicians, of course!)

What I like about Dean so far is his unapologetic, plain-spoken liberalism combined with a good dose of feisty combativeness. I get the sense that he could slice and dice Bush in anything like a debate.

OK, color my glasses rosy. But for a moment there the thought of *volunteering* came into my jaded mind!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#168026 - 27/06/2003 15:43 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: jimhogan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

...Kerry ... does have some strong points

He does seem to have an opinion of his own, and appears to be brave enough to call out the President on specific issues. I thought he was little more than a slimy rich boy wannabe until I saw some of his campaigning. (He seems to be getting on cspan a lot...)
I still see him as a "too smooth" politician -- wanting to have it both ways on things like Iraq.

A haircut would _really_ help. He looks like one of those car salesmen that you instinctively run away from because you just know that they're going to hound you with their overbearing 'sincerity' until you sign on the dotted line.
Being the smoothie also, I think, sets him up to get slapped around with the "professional politician" label by the Republicans (none of whom are politicians, of course!)

Possibly.

#168027 - 27/06/2003 15:55 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Essentially, this is just something for a way to try and find a candidate for MoveOn.org to endorse. I thought Kucinich would have much higher support as well, but in retrospect, one of the things that bugged me about all the answers he gave to the MoveOn.org interview is that he really came across as being egotistical.

#168028 - 27/06/2003 16:20 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: canuckInOR]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

. I thought Kucinich would have much higher support as well, but in retrospect, one of the things that bugged me about all the answers he gave to the MoveOn.org interview is that he really came across as being egotistical.

Yep, lots of "I this" and "I that". Gets old fast. What a funny balance to try to strike -- not let your big head show *too* much but project enough self-assurance/confidence that you eliminate doubt.

Oh, plus, using material like "Speak Truth to Power" rankles, at least with me. He needs to get some fresh cliches.

#168029 - 27/06/2003 16:42 Re: How's dem Dems? [Re: genixia]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I thought he was little more than a slimy rich boy wannabe until I saw some of his campaigning.

I'm ancient enough to remember his VVAW Senate testimony in 1971 and he certainly seemed like a class act, albeit with a bit of a blue-blood, Brahmin air. Over the years, though, it seemed like Kerry the politician became more and more ...Kerry the politician. (circular thought, I know...)

Having a long record in politics is both asset and liability, such as when those infrequent, long-forgotten allusions to Irishness come back to haunt.