Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#352812 - 25/06/2012 21:01 Looking for a new mouse
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
For I don't remember how many years I've been using my Logitech MX1000 mouse that came with my DiNovo keyboard. Love it, always have. It's the Bluetooth version because that's what the DiNovo bundle was all about. AFAIK, the Bluetooth MX1000 was never available for sale on its own, it only came with the DiNovo bundle.

But now, it's started acting up. Bad connections, and the left mouse button is showing signs of wear.

So I thought I'd replace it with what I thouht was the best Logitech currently has on offer: the Performance MX mouse.

In short: I hate it. It doesn't seem to be anywhere as precise as my MX1000 was. I also hate the fact that I sort of have to 'stick my hand into it' before I can use it (because of how the thumb rest is built) instead of just being able to let my hand rest on it. (I know, it sounds weird, but that's how it feels to me and it's difficult to put this feeling into words) Lastly, the buttons don't seem to be that well placed on this mouse as well.

I don't think I'll be using this mouse for much longer. I may be a creature of habit, but I doubt I'll ever get used to it.

Now, looking at alternatives, it strikes me that it seems the normal mouse format has become something of a rarity nowadays! Most of the mouses available are the 'laptop format' kind, which is just fine if you're actually using a laptop for a small period of time, but not for desktop use on a daily basis, hours on end.

So please, could somebody point me towards a worthy replacement?
As said, I want it to be the classic format, not the 'laptop format'. Preferably the mouse should use a laser and be very precise. I don't really care for ergonomics. Function buttons are a plus, but not a necessity.

Thanks!

#352814 - 25/06/2012 21:24 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
It looks like I won't be help here, because I switched from the MX1000 to the Performance MX, and I love the new mouse.

I used the MX1000 for something like 8 years (I went through a couple of them - the non-bluetooth versions). I loved it. I loved that it had a docking station for recharging, I loved the button layout and the general feel.

Eventually I decided on a couple of things: it was going to be tough to keep finding replacement MX1000's, and the more I thought about it that dock wasn't a good idea. When the mouse wasn't charging it was a bit of a vampire, and it was sitting on my desk collecting dust. And given the battery life, the dock was usually just sitting there doing nothing and taking up space.

So when my last MX1000 started acting up like yours did, I moved to the Performance MX just like you did. I also reacted badly to it, but I knew it was because I'd been using one mouse for so long. I felt the same way when I moved to the MX1000 from my previous beloved mouse (I think it was this one?). So I gave the MX a chance, and now I can't imagine going to another mouse (and I use a TON of mice).

I have mixed reactions to the button layout change. I really like the bottom thumb button because I can just rest on it. But I don't like losing those buttons in front of and behind the wheel, which I used to jump back and forth between articles in Google Reader.

Anyway, I recommend getting used to it. I've had my MX for over a year now, and I'm not bothered by the ergonomics at all. But you may feel differently. I don't really know of other mice to recommend, but GDGT is starting to be a decent place to check out collected reviews of gadgets. I'd skip down the the "All Mice" section where they just list them all by score. Perhaps the MX 518 might appeal?

#352815 - 25/06/2012 21:36 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I don't know. Maybe I should use it a couple of more days before making up my mind.
Another thing I hate about it, is it doesn't seem to be as precise as the MX1000 was. But that may have to do something with the fact that I don't use a mouse mat. I haven't used one for years, didn't need it with the MX1000. The Performance MX does show the symptoms of a mouse not being about to pinpoint its position exactly. Which is odd, because it does use that Darkfield laser technology which, in theory, should make it even better than the laser in the MX1000. Except that it doesn't. Meh. So you use a mouse mat with your Performance MX?

To be honest, I'm not really sure at all which other brand to choose. I've always used Logitech, but it seems their range of normally sized mice has become rather limited. I've also looked at Razer. I like the Razer Mamba. It's actually got the best shape I can imagine for a mouse. It's expensive though. And its battery life is said to be horrendous (a few hours)... which has even made me consider corded mice again, like the Razer DeathAdder...

#352816 - 25/06/2012 21:59 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Hmmm, that's odd indeed. The MX should work on any surface including transparent glass. I do use a mouse pad, but mostly for the comfort of my wrist. If I remove it, the mouse works perfectly fine, and I've NEVER had accuracy problems with mine.

Where is your receiver in relation to the mouse? I think I did notice that the range is a little shorter than the MX1000, but then the receiver for that mouse was the docking station which I always kept about a foot from the mouse anyway. I have my receiver for the MX (and my keyboard) on the USB extension cable just to be sure, because my desktop is a little far away from my primary work space. Maybe that would help?

Frankly, ergonomics are so subjective. People hold their mice differently, so I probably have a completely different experience than you do. I tend to move my mouse with my fingers alone, while my wrist sits motionless on my desk. My fingers are so far back on the mouse that my middle finger barely reaches a little more than halfway up the scroll wheel.

#352820 - 26/06/2012 00:01 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Repair the old mouse?

Yeah, I know, I just don't get this whole throw-away culture! smile

#352839 - 26/06/2012 08:13 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan

Where is your receiver in relation to the mouse? I think I did notice that the range is a little shorter than the MX1000, but then the receiver for that mouse was the docking station which I always kept about a foot from the mouse anyway.

The receiver is plugged into a USB port on the front of my desktop case, which is positioned on my desk. This effectively means the distance is 60 - 70 cm. I doubt this is a problem. (and if it is, maybe I should consider a corded mouse instead. smile )

Quote:

Frankly, ergonomics are so subjective. People hold their mice differently, so I probably have a completely different experience than you do. I tend to move my mouse with my fingers alone, while my wrist sits motionless on my desk. My fingers are so far back on the mouse that my middle finger barely reaches a little more than halfway up the scroll wheel.

It's very subjective indeed. I also only use my fingers to move the mouse, I hardly ever move my hand. For some reason I don't use my middle finger to scroll, I move my index finger instead. I tried holding the mouse the way you descrive, but if I do, this means my hand is way back on the table and hardly touching the mouse. This can either mean two things: either my fingers are a lot longer than yours (which I doubt, my hands are not extremely large), or you also don't hold the mouse the way it's meant. By this I mean with your thumb snug into the provided space. Because if you do hold it like that my middle finger reaches up until the front edge of the mouse.

The "I use my fingers to move the mouse and not my hand" is probably even the main reason I hate this mouse, because if I position my had the way it's clearly meant, then I cannot use my fingers to move the mouse and I'm forced to move my hand.

This may be a case of simply getting used to it, but I doubt it. I've been using it for four days now and every day I resent it a bit more. smile

#352840 - 26/06/2012 08:15 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: mlord]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Repair the old mouse?

Yeah, I know, I just don't get this whole throw-away culture! smile

Somehow I *knew* you were going to post this Mark! smile
But it's no option for me, since I lack the solering skills to pull this off.

#352841 - 26/06/2012 09:28 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I too use one of the chunky MX mice. I use my index finger to scroll.

I also use just my fingers to move it, in that heal of my palm stays firmly planted on the desk and doesn't move. These big MX mice are by far the best I've ever used, though I do wish the current model still had the second scroller under the thumb, I use that for volume and mute.

#352843 - 26/06/2012 10:00 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: andy]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I tried the Logitech G9X. I liked it (definitely comfortable), but it was very cheaply made. The surface materials rubbed off extremely quickly and it died completely within two years. That turned me away from Logitech forever, they just don't seem to have the same quality that they use to.

After that, I went for a Razer Naga. It is a decent mouse. If there were one thing I would change about it - I would make the thumb keypad programmable like the G600 is.

#352845 - 26/06/2012 10:26 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
There was a thread with some good recommendations here.

tanstaafl.

#352846 - 26/06/2012 10:35 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tim
I tried the Logitech G9X. I liked it (definitely comfortable), but it was very cheaply made. The surface materials rubbed off extremely quickly and it died completely within two years. That turned me away from Logitech forever, they just don't seem to have the same quality that they use to.

I don't know, I think two years is pretty long for a cheap mouse wink

It's interesting to hear you say this, though. I've had the opposite experience. As long as you're not getting their cheapest stuff, Logitech has pretty darned good build quality. It's not Apple-level, but it's better than the others I've seen on the market. My MX is still in perfect condition after about 20 months (I really can't remember when I got it, it might be longer than that), and the only wear is that the Logitech logo has nearly worn off, but I have very sweaty palms smile

I also have the Logitech VX Nano, which must have decent build quality because it bounces around in my computer bag with everything else and still works like a champ three or more years later.

#352848 - 26/06/2012 10:48 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona

It's interesting to hear you say this, though. I've had the opposite experience. As long as you're not getting their cheapest stuff, Logitech has pretty darned good build quality. It's not Apple-level, but it's better than the others I've seen on the market. My MX is still in perfect condition after about 20 months (I really can't remember when I got it, it might be longer than that), and the only wear is that the Logitech logo has nearly worn off, but I have very sweaty palms smile

Maybe it is just my luck, but I went through a couple of G9 mice fairly quickly. I got one for the desktop, liked it so much that I got one for the laptop and they both died around the same time. What was weird is the laptop one didn't get much use until the desktop one started acting up, moved it over and it died shortly after the increased amount of use.

#352849 - 26/06/2012 10:50 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I couldn't agree more. The first MX Revolution I bought is 6 years old now, it has very little wear on it. Even more impressive, the built in battery still holds its charge very well !

(though it has had less use over the last year, as I bought a second hand spare one of them and bought a MacBook with that gorgeous trackpad)

#352858 - 26/06/2012 14:54 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: tanstaafl.]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
There was a thread with some good recommendations here.

I *thought* I had read a similar thread not too long ago. Just couldn't find it and then figured I'd read about it on another forum. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

#352859 - 26/06/2012 16:55 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
My MX is still in perfect condition after about 20 months

One of my two MX mice broke fairly shortly after I got it, but Logitech support replaced it, no questions asked (and with no need to RMA the old one). Both mice are now going strong.

#353980 - 10/08/2012 15:13 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Matt, I wanted too ask you: did you also notice that the performance MX is LOT less precise than the MX1000 was? Especially when being used without a mouse mat (which shouldn't be needed anyway since it uses a laser). Because of this I've switched almost completely back to my MX1000. I could live with and get used to the new shape of the Performance MX, but I can't have it being less precise. I've tried every SetPoint option there is, but nothing seems to change this. I find this very strange, since Logitech advertises the new "Darkfield" laser technology for the Performance MX as "completely new and much better", but I can only see it underperforming compared to the MX1000.
Very strange.
I don't want to go back to using mouse mats. eek

#353992 - 10/08/2012 18:55 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Hmm. No, I haven't noticed that at all. It's performed flawlessly since day one. I still love this mouse.

If I had a single criticism, it's that it loses it's charge too quickly. It's a minor issue, though, when you can just recharge it over night and never need new batteries.

But no, I haven't noticed any accuracy issues. Maybe you got a bad egg, like Roger did.

#353993 - 10/08/2012 18:56 Re: Looking for a new mouse [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Could be. But I wouldn't know how to test this. Perhaps I should contact Logitech support for this, maybe this is a know issue... Thanks!