Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#360310 - 19/11/2013 13:56 Password safe software
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Wow, it's been 5 years since I last asked this question.

Up to this point, I've been perfectly happy using KeePass for managing my passwords. Unfortunately, I can't get the friggin' thing to work on my Mac, and it's a tiny bit flaky on Linux. What are you using?

I need something that works on:
- Windows 7, Windows 8
- Linux Mint
- Mac OS X
- iPad Mini
- Android 4.1 (SGS3)

It _must_ synchronise between all of these, but doesn't need to be read-write from the mobile apps (KeePass isn't, and I've not found it to be a problem).

I'd also like to be sure that my passwords are actually stored securely.

#360312 - 19/11/2013 15:00 Re: Password safe software [Re: Roger]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born

#360313 - 19/11/2013 15:27 Re: Password safe software [Re: Phoenix42]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've been using Lastpass for the last three years, in combination with Xmarks for the syncing of my bookmarks. I like it very much, so much even I paid to become a premium user. (you need to be a premium user for it to work with mobile devices) Well worth the money. ($12/year)

#360315 - 19/11/2013 15:40 Re: Password safe software [Re: BartDG]
drakino
carpal tunnel

On the OS X side, LastPass seems to be the second most recommended setup, only behind 1Password.

For Roger, 1Password wouldn't work with your Linux requirement, unless you are okay with this workaround: http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html (Local web page based method to show passwords).

#360316 - 19/11/2013 15:49 Re: Password safe software [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm a 1Password user on Windows/OSX/iOS/Android, I'm happy with it.

Unlike LastPass it doesn't do its own syncing, it relies on DropBox for the syncing. It isn't cheap though, but I'm happy to keep fellow developers in pizza.

As well as the local web page method for unsupported OSes, you can also point your browser at the 1password html file in DropBox on the web to access your passwords.

#360317 - 19/11/2013 15:50 Re: Password safe software [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Both 1Password and LastPass provide js implementation of their code which people have used to check that they are doing vaguely what they claim to be doing, i.e. doing things securely

#360319 - 19/11/2013 20:14 Re: Password safe software [Re: Roger]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Roger
What are you using?
I've used LastPass for a couple of years now, and am satisfied with it. I've not tried anything else, so I don't know how good it is compared to other services.

I have had good results with their customer service when I was caught in a Catch-22 situation of LastPass not letting me into my vault when I was using an ISP in a country different from where my LastPass was registered, and needing to be in the vault in order to change the allowable country.

tanstaafl.

#360320 - 19/11/2013 21:15 Re: Password safe software [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've used Lastpass for several years and I simply love it. I don't know the password to a single web service I use, and I'm delighted about that. Here's an example of a password that I just generated with two clicks: &Lfr3u$kV^8oA7zB

If I wanted, a third click would save that password as what I use to access the empeg board. It's extremely easy to use.

Lastpass recently upgraded its Chrome extension, and they've improved the interface a great deal. It's cleaner, and now I can activate it directly from text boxes on web forms and sign ins.

I can't recommend Lastpass highly enough. At ~$48 over the past four years, it's one of the best values I've ever gotten from a tech service.

*edit*
I wanted to add something about the mobile side: if you have an Android phone, Lastpass is definitely the way to go. When you're signing into a service, just log into Lastpass first, and if you have it set up right, once you find the service in your Lastpass vault, you can just tap on it and two entries are added to the notification shade. Tapping these entries will put either your username or password on the clipboard so you can enter then into the app/mobile site you're logging into.

I don't know how it works on iOS...

Edited by Dignan (19/11/2013 21:18)

#360325 - 20/11/2013 07:48 Re: Password safe software [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Dignan

I don't know how it works on iOS...

About the same. That, and it also features a webbrowser of their own, which opens when you want to launch a certain site. The login/pass gets automatically filled in and you're immediately logged into the site. Very handy. (though that browser might be a enhanced version of Safari, I don't know - it's certainly not the standard Safari browser and you can only get to it via the Lastpass app)

#360326 - 20/11/2013 11:06 Re: Password safe software [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

All* the in app web browsers on iOS are effectively Safari (yes, even Chrome). In one way it is actually a cut down version of Safari, as for security reasons the in app browsers only get to use the old style Javascript engine (if they were allowed to use the new style one then malicious content would have a far more interesting attack surface than it does with the old style one).

* ok, not all, there are a handful of iOS web browser where the parsing/rendering happens on a server somewhere and sends the rendered pages down to a local display app, allowing them to support Flash and the like that Safari doesn't support

#360327 - 20/11/2013 14:36 Re: Password safe software [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I've used Lastpass for several years
Yes, you were the one who originally recommended it to me.

Have you upgraded to the v3.0 version? If so, how do you like it?

I am holding off on that, although they appear to be forcing me into it since they changed their UI on the old version to incorporate some of the 3.0 features, and logging in to sites where I do not want auto-login enabled has become a lot more complicated.

If you say that the new version is better, I'll believe you. After all, I was highly skeptical of the new ribbon interface in Excel, but now after using it I would never, ever go back!

tanstaafl.

#360333 - 21/11/2013 02:13 Re: Password safe software [Re: Roger]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
KyPass4Mac works for me to do Keepass on OS X.