There's an AM radio station I like to listen to, but being 20 miles outside the city, it's hard to pick up, especially in bad weather. Getting it indoors at my place of work is also difficult on the typical AM/FM radio. So what I've done is rigged up a streaming server on my Linux box which can take my current AM radio's output and stream it to me at work (and, using streamripper, save the shows for later playback, which is very cool.)

This works well, except, as mentioned, the reception is poor even at home. The radio I'm using is a $10 AM/FM/Casette player that just barely works. So I was hoping to find either (a) a cheap boom box that has a really good built-in AM antenna, (b) one that has an input for an external AM antenna, or (c) a used home receiver component that takes an external AM antenna. Now the one caveat to any external antenna is it has to be something I can put in my apartment, it can't be one of those giant metal deals that you mount on your roof.

I don't wanna sink too much into this project, so if there is some kind of homegrown solution I could use to improvise an AM antenna or something, I'm all ears. Any ideas?