Hi.

Does anyone know where one might purchase a USB to ethernet adapter that actually works with linux? Preferably at a reasonably low cost.

The problem I have is that for a number of small ARM boards I have made, I have an occasional requirement to add ethernet. In the good old days I would reach for one of my ADMtek ADM8515 based adapters, which would simply work, as the drivers have been in the kernel for ages. However, my supply of these has shrunk to none, annoyingly, and even more annoyingly they seem to be impossible to now buy.

More recently, I succeeded in getting a Davicom DM9601 adapter running on the hardware. OK, thinks I, I'll get a few more off ebay. No luck, those have evaporated as well. You can still get cheap adapters that look identical to the DM9601 units, which in turn look identical to the ADM8515 ones, but they're based on a chipset from some chinese manufacturer no one has ever heard of.

None of the ebay sellers seem to know the first thing about what they're selling, and are completely unable to provide me with a manufacturer or model number before I buy one, so I have to buy a sample one, check it out when it arrives, and bin it when it's no use. I don't feel this is very useful frown I'd like to find someone who could consistently supply me with the same damn unit, not change it every time I place an order.

Any ideas?

pca