I went and had lunch and browsed the Apple web pages after I got back. Much easier than trying to slog through those videos.

The watch: If you're an iPhone guy, then you might want the Apple watch. You'd be a fool to buy the $10k version, but some fools will buy it. You'd also be a fool to buy a gold Rolex, but it's priced similarly high, or higher if you want baguette diamonds around the face. We're not talking technology here. We're talking jewelry. Apple is now in the boutique jewelry business.

If you look at it sideways, Apple is following other watch brands like Seiko. You can get basic quartz movement watches at all sorts of different price points. Some with rubber straps. Some with bracelets. Some gold, some titanium. All of this makes perfect sense. What Apple *isn't* doing is racing down to the bottom, like many of the Android Wear devices, such as the entirely forgettable $100 LG G Watch. However, by only offering a square face, while many Android watches are now round, that's a remarkable miss. People like round watches.

Notably missing: what happens when the battery dies? If you spend $10k on a gold watch and two years later the battery is toast, you're going to expect Apple to fix it. "Oh sorry" isn't going to cut it. Conversely, when my $200 Moto 360 craps out, I'll pitch it and get the latest and bestest replacement and I won't miss the original, because Moore's Law will have marched onward and I'll have a better device.

Much more interesting to me is the new 12" MacBook. It's got exactly two ports: one headphone jack and one USB-C port (*). That's it. Nothing else. If you have some rare, antique device like, say, a camera with an SD memory card, you're out of luck. Apple offers these totally goofy adapters that have USB-C on one side, and then regular USB, HDMI, and another USB-C on the other side. For $79. That's bonkers. Apple is abandoning their brilliant MagSafe connector in return for squeezing the computer down to a single connector. What they need to do, now, is have series of "docking stations" that plug into that connector. If I was an executive at Belkin or equivalent, it would be all hands on deck to get a device like that done and out the door.

Missing in action: Apple didn't announce any new monitors. They're still offering the 27" Cinema display, which has USB 2 in it, among other antiquities. I suspect Apple's planning to get out of the monitor business altogether, otherwise they'd announce a monitor with a single USB-C cable to run the new laptop, and break everything out behind it with all the other ports.

(*) I guess "USB-C" is now the official way of saying "USB 3.1, type C".