I like the interface of Winamp a lot, but there are some new features that bug the crap out of me. I am open to alternatives, but don't want to lose some of the nice features I've become used to.

This is how I use Winamp at work:

It sits nicely in the upper right portion (always on top) of my screen with most controls accessible. If I have to take a call, pause is easily at reach. I also like that the mouse scroll wheel controls Winamp's volume when it has focus.

For my uses, Winamp was perfect until recently. I have two major complaints. I can't seem to turn off the update checks. The preferences screen in Winamp has gotten so unwieldy that no matter how much I look, I can't find the option (if it even exists). I also can't stand that every time I insert a USB key, Winamp asks if I want Winamp to manage the music on the drive. This happens every time I insert removable media whether it contains music or not. Again, I cannot see where to turn this off.

I'm basically looking for something that looks like Winamp, but doesn't act like it. Is there a Windows port of XMMS? Are there other programs that can do the same things I like? Should I just download Winamp 2.x?

Attachments
winamp.png